Agnostic.com

12 0

Is it wrong to challenge the beliefs of the elderly? I've been talking with an older African American woman about her religion, and how slavery pertains to it and I'm wondering if it's a bad thing because so much of her life has already been dedicated.

CallMeSaul 4 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I enjoy listening to others tell their tale and if asked I will state my beliefs and thoughts. I don't try to change anyone and I certainly don't denigrate their beliefs.

I try and present my opinions to the elderly in a way that will not agitate them. There is a fine line balance for being supportive to this type person, and voicing strong opinions against injustice! I still try and find away, though...(I am one of them now).

I don't think it is ever bad to express your beliefs. It unly turns bad when you try to change someone else's beliefs. Just put your ideas out there, and let others decide what to make of them.

What other people think is none of my biz, period.

My mother is old and super religious, many of the people I work with are he same, I am not inclined to disenchant them at this late stage.

I’ve wondered the same, but as I age, have less respect for those not having taken the opportunity to enlighten themselves - thus continue to inflict ignorance and myth on the young. Trauma may have brought about a skewed view of reality or caused some to cling to anything in order to survive, but it’s no excuse for perpetuating unsubstantiated ‘beliefs’ as truth. Most all have a taste of trauma, not all come away scared for life ~

Varn Level 8 Jan 28, 2018

Absolutely, the discussion started because she said women shouldn't be in places of authority, and I didn't want her spreading that.

we have to remember with the oldies, they have lived it longer, and for most of their time it was the norm, it was not questioned, there we few other points of view. No internet.

As life passes humans get more set in their ways, and have less time to benefit from change - so there is a 'diminishing return' from trying to change people's set viewpoints as they get older.

I tend to feel that by the time the hair on someone's head is largely grey there really is little point.

I am an 'elderly' fellow and you are free to challenge my beliefs any time you want. Bring it on.

Do you believe in something that promotes slavey?

@PaulRecomStop -- I hold no beliefs beyond the mundane things we use to navigate through the day without cognitive overload. So, no, I don't.

The truth is the truth....as much as it hurts.

Yes, we do need to take care. that is not to say we should not express our opinions, but we need to make sure that we question the ideology and not the person.

It has always troubled me that I can’t really express myself to people I suspect would be harmed if they lost their belief system, even if it actually harms them. I always end up unable to say those things that would actually give my argument weight.

We do need to take care. If religious beliefs define the core of who that person has become, destroying that core can be debilitating if the person has nothing to replace it with and has limited time left.

Normally I would say religion is terrible in all forms, but someone that is very old may actually suffer physical problems due to stress when questioned on something as delicate as a core belief. Best live and let live in that situation.

Nothung to replace it with? How about logic?

@DUCHESSA Logic, by itself, does not provide a core set of beliefs which define who a person is. That core is a lifetime of synthesis of experiences and beliefs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18930
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.