Agnostic.com

11 2

I came across a very interesting Facebook post. It demonstrates that the definition for the word fascism has been changed in the dictionaries that are commonly used. It has changed from a definition that focuses on fascism being a totalitarian type of government to a definition that describes it as being an extreme right wing type of government. Has anyone else come across this?

MarcusF 5 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I saw something about a differing definition on Facebook, but with all of what Facebook is, I didn’t read the post.

I have not. I once heard that a civilization progresses through several stages though. Anarchy, Dictatorship, Democracy, and back to Anarchy. I 'm not sure those are the exact order, and I've missed a few I'm sure. If someone knows that quote, please share. I've been searching ages to find it again.

I pretty much always considered Fascism to be the capitalist form of totalitarianism. Mussolini, the father of Fascism, defined it as the merging of State and Corporate interests.

Few people are aware that there was a very active Fascist movement in America in the late 1930's. It was funded and propagated by wealthy leaders who wanted to control our government. Pearl Harbor changed attitudes rather quickly, and they lost support. I have red more than one source which says that those same wealthy families are still wealthy and have not lost their goals of gainign control over the U.S.

No, I should look it up,
a friend of mine has begun calling me a fascist because I made comments about humans destroying other life forms and they don't have the right.

A rose by any other name is still a rose and smells just as sweet.

It's from people misconstruing authoritarianism with right wing economic philosophy. Hitler's fascists embraced a collectivist fascist regime that was economically centrist and only mildly right wing. However, people always forgot about Italian and Spanish fascism which were indeed extremely right wing in economic practice.

Yup, if you look at Hitler's third Reich it falls much more in line with liberalism than conservatism. So much so that Obama's administration was only one point away from being a mirror of Hitler's 14 major points of fascism.

This is due to the realization that you can have a Fascist Democracy. In fact, historically, that is the most likely way to start. Italy was such under Mussolini.

Not specifically. But I am not surprised. The elasticity of the English language is being tested at every turn. When "doh" was accepted in the OED, I saw it as an ill omen.

It is both totalitarian and ethnocentric. Most ethnocentric movements tend to be right wing.

Worth checking since the example of fascism I grew up with was Franco and Mussolini. Maybe they are expanding definition to avoid continuation of adding more labels for the similar. I wonder if you the poster are Right Wing and feels offended for the new company.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18942
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.