Agnostic.com

12 3

If you were a biologist with unlimited resources and wanted to create a virus what would you target for it to destroy? My choice is oil. I would cause it to turn to be useless to burn.

azzow2 9 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Already exists. [sciencedaily.com]

However, like it not, without (oil), we would likely have to quickly move to coal and natural gas and do not currently have resources/technology to sustain out world population with a sudden depletion of oil resource so mass starvation would the likely outcome of your virus.

Cancer... protein build up in the brain to cure Alzheimer.... stuff like that.

That is progressive, we need a council that pharmaceuticals can't get in their pocket.

Would be nice if there was a virus to destroy fear, greed and hate. What could go awry with that?

I am in your boat on that idea.

Why not go all the way to the real problem... MONEY.

Money is such a germ spreader anyway. Just eliminate the control factor at the top.

@azzow2 I don't blame those on top as only cause... after all it takes a slave to make a master so... I will stick to eliminate the problem at the root... My virus... my target = money.

I suppose I would look for something that would dissolve steel with s spray....can u imagine the true devastation....buildings with steel structures....bridges....planes...ships ....trains....the whole transport network globally could be put at risk....

Good call, I would go plastic.

Given the scenario, I would turn it around and look for a virus that solves problems, not causes them. I worry a lot about unintended consequences

Hate.

Just legalize weed...
It replaces oil...

I want it legea for different reasons. Bout a ton of New Age pharmaceutical stock a 10 cents a share.

If it would not burn, it still is a lubricant and a source of other materials like plastic. Still polluting.
I guess I would like to target the stock market causing most people that have more than a million lose their money. (this is a primary reaction).

Gert Level 7 Jan 28, 2018

Why do you want people to lose their money? A stock market crash is going to impact everyone.

@shockwaverider Sure but the greed of the users of the stock market is impacting everyone just the same. As long as most of the money is gathered, by the 1% of the world population, actually, simply said, stolen from the workers that produce the products and that they sell for prices that actually are too high for reasons of profit, and in general doing nothing to share their wealth (except a few that do) not even spending their wealth for preserving the planet that we are all living on. I have no mercy for them.

@Gert Way more than the top 1% are invested in the market. Pretty much everyone who has a 401K is in the market and that is ~32%. I'm in the top 10% and I worked hard to earn and invest. I inherited nothing.

People who are self made are more likely to spend to preserve the planet, i.e. Bill Gates (Microsoft). People who inherited their money and never worked, i.e. Walton family (Walmart), tend to be stingy and entitled.

You should fight to take $ out of politics, tax inheritance, and so on. Just leave those of us who earned our success out of the equation.

@shockwaverider First of all, I already mentioned that it was a primary reaction, so don't try to be too hard on me. But still I wonder if you belong to the billionaires that form that 1% owning most of the money and property in the world. I did not have the average investors in mind. I was even quite generous to exclude the limited rich people, wasn't I? I also get my pension from these kind of investments, but that doesn't mean that that makes the system a fair system. It's a system that suggests that everybody can become wealthy in the US, but that's just as much a lie as religion. When I really think it through, I am convinced that I forcefully participate in a system that is not good in itself. I also realize that we have no choice. But that doesn't mean that when I am challenged to make a wish, I should expect that someone tries to limit my options by telling me that I should not wish that. I think that wishing the oil to stop burning would have just as big an impact than my wish.
Yes Bill Gates is one of those that form the exception where I pointed at before. He's one of the good guys in a bad system.
And talking about politics, isn't it the politics that voted for tax breaks for the wealthy? Having quite some profit themselves? I'm not sure though, because I am not politically interested, but still here something so once in a while.

@Gert Fair enough. You're right, you can wish for whatever you want. At first I was just trying to understand your choice, then I was being defensive. Sorry for that.

I just looked it up and I'm a rounding error compared to the 99th percentile.

@shockwaverider No hard feelings shockwaverider. I understand. I also make a short turn so once in a while 🙂.

Why would you want to do that? We still use oil. If you said coal, that would make more sense.

I'd create a virus that destroys pollutants.

Oil makes plastic, oil spills kill birds and fish, It take something like 500 gallons of gasoline to make 1 battery for an electric car. the fluorocarbons from factories comes from oil, There are new methods the technology is suppressed because it would hurt government officials revenue checks.

@azzow2 Do you think that Tesla wouldn't use a better, more efficient process to make batteries if they could?

@shockwaverider Unfortunately he has to rely on what is available for now. I hope it will improve. They will need to have a 100% solar or wind powered manufacturing plant. Geothermal is not efficient enough. Would be a good start. The electroplating process to coat the metal plates takes freon which is another problem. Then in the end game recycling on a large scale for the batteries. Not sure if they have electric furnaces that get hot enough either. .

Not a bad sentiment.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18972
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.