Agnostic.com

30 9

Have you ever had a partner succumb to mental health problems?

I have only had two long term relationships. Each lasted 12 years. I lost the first one to addiction, and the second to mental health issues. I could write a book about enabling. The first just kept spiraling after I was finally able to get free. The other is actually doing better because I made him leave. What experiences have you all had?

Tecolote 7 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sorry, I don't have an ex, is that a problem? I am married for more than 40 years. We both have, like anybody a few character issues, but that is no reason for parting. We learned to live with the fact that we both are individuals. respecting the fact that becoming "one" through marriage, is a fairy tale.

Gert Level 7 Jan 28, 2018

Gert, I don't think character issues -- flaws, frailties, or whatever -- are at ALL related to what @tecolote and others are describing when referring to their experiences with people who have mental health issues. Did you not also discern that?

@BlueWave, you don't have to believe me, but I have been working in psychiatry, worked as a Social Worker and as a lawyer. All more or less related to people with issues. Everybody has mental issues. One more than another, but still. And it is part of someone's personality, because the issue is seldom caused by infection (sometimes it is, sometimes it's blunt trauma, sometimes other illnesses) and is present and often nurtured during growing up. Be sure, I don't count myself or my wife out. It is most of the time the question if the one and the other succeed in successfully working things out together. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In a relation it is most of the time just a fact that both have shown not to be able to work things out. So, I would never point a finger at someone to determine who is to blame. But ……… metal issues sometimes are harder to master than walking through concrete. But parting after 12 years ……… I would be very interested in how such a partnership evolved and what actually caused the break and when it started. But sure enough, it's not of my business.

Borderline Personality Disorder, they don’t even seem to know what they are doing. They are convinced though there is nothing wrong and make crazy decisions. She always seemed to bounce back, but I have been told it gets worse with age. I do wish they would consider conventional medication as well as the holistic counseling approach she has been angaged in. Life is truely on eggshells. It has caused waves in the far reaches of our lives.

One of my exes committed suicide almost a year ago. She struggled with depression and addiction since she was 16. I left her when she started using again.

Thank you for your condolences. I'm more concerned for her son than myself. He lacks a formal education and is stuck with his literally insane grandparents. They blame me for her overdose, I don't blame myself. She didn't deserve death, but she chose it, there's nothing I can do to change that. There's nothing I did to cause it either.

My ex blames the end of our marriage on my mental health issues. Truth is we both had or have mental health challenges, mine were being address and treated. Neither of us was a danger to self or others. but his method of dealing with his issues did not make for a good relationship or home life. Everyone is happier since we split, and the kids have told me they wish I'd done it sooner.

I sympathise.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18980
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.