Agnostic.com

6 2

To ghost or be ghosted?

[vice.com]

I try to avoid that behavior by politely letting guys go early if I don't feel a spark with them. It might come off as cold, but which one's colder: leading a guy on to spare his feelings, letting him go early so he doesn't waste his time, or ghosting him? Anyway there's times when I'm emotionally drained by life and don't really feel like talking, so if I disappear, I try to tell a person before I do. Or if I disappear, I tell them honestly why I left and hope they don't take it personally. Not sure why this thing is a phenomenon, it's like we're celebrating not having good manners, respect for others and personal accountability. Most of all, no one seems to have empathy.

Stepmomofdragons 7 Sep 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Personally, I won't ghost someone. I just think it's kind of a "sucky" thing to do. If I am chatting with someone and the convo goes stale or I'm just not feeling it, I will politely say so and wish them luck finding someone "cool to hang with" is what I say. I have had two guys, so far, "ghost" me after having lengthly convos (over the course of a week or longer) and even a phone convo with one. Things seemed decent, the convos flowed nicely, the guy I spoke to on the phone was great! We spoke for two hours, laughed, had a lot in common. We texted back and forth another week and then...radio silence?! No reason - that I know of? I mean, we are adults...maybe we should act like it and let the other person know? I just don't see why it is so unreasonable to expect a simple common courtesy - especially if you've been "talking" for a length of time.

I have never been "ghosted" nor had a man "ghost" me.

It is extremely rude to disappear from someone's life without a word.

Seems to me that if somebody I have never met in person goes silent, that's a pretty broad hint. Maybe I don't get emotionally attached easily. I lay my cards on the table and if there's something they see that they don't like, the time to exit is obvious. I get lots of private messages. If a message sparks suspicion or does not spark interest, I am polite and very brief, much as I would be in person at a party or club. Most guys get the hint. I've only once had to adamantly tell someone they need to shove off. If somebody seems interesting, I say so. It doesn't have to be a romantic interest to be interesting, either.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 30, 2018

It is tempting to ghost someone.. but as you said, if you have any empathy you know it can be harmful..
Ghosting , catfishing, using people for one-night-stands (without being upfront about it).. etc , etc, is what makes the modern dating horrible as it turns everyone bitter. The good ones leave and the bad ones stay.

I try to act early and honestly. A severely hateful backlash, filled with plausible threats or worse can make one think twice about saying anything, though.

Zster Level 8 Sep 30, 2018

I've always been upfront. Communication is one of my strong points. What I constantly work on is thinking before I speak to make sure it comes out how I wanted it.

I think I've only ever ghosted one woman who couldn't take no for an answer.

A "Clinger"? Maybe she was viewing you as a meal ticket,and now forced to re-evaluate her plans?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:190278
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.