Agnostic.com

3 0

Worst Experience as an Atheist/Agnostic?

What is your worst experience as an atheist/agnostic?

GlaslowII 4 Oct 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For me, it's not one experience but a common theme. I constantly get told with those who I speak about religion with (aka my loved ones) that I come across as condescending. I always say I respect people's right to believe, but it's gotten t the point where I'd rather not try to talk at all.

I’ve had expieremced a wide variety of life’s joys and challenges and not a one made less or worse by accepting reality.

I have been extremely fortunate to have no candidates for "worst experience" in that department. All the stars aligned for me. I had been inactive with church for quite some time before deconverting, and had no active Christian friends to give me a hard time. I was far from my extended family, who are anomalous amongst fundamentalists in that they're good at minding their own business. My wife at the time, although she remained a believer, was anomalous in not being perturbed at my apostasy.

I'm out to my surviving brothers; neither one has given me a hard time. My parents died before they found out but I have no doubt that they would have loved me anyway.

Since deconversion I've lived in the northeast US where religion and politics are pretty much not topics of discussion.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:191309
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.