Agnostic.com

9 2

Neuroscience for those in power..

I've always had a fascination for the brain. As a curious child born to a schizophrenic, I learned at a young age that while you are your brain, it can also trick you. I learned that everything about you, even the things you sense that aren't actually real, it's all your brain. On a side note, that's why I can't say that I never really believed in God despite my family's best efforts. It was all just made up in the brain.

Anyway, the brain has always been on my brain and it's something I've always daydreamed about. One of my thoughts was that we should be scanning the brains of those in power and a few other things. Politicians, police, teachers.. to see if they're really the right people.

Imagine if we could hook up a politician and just by looking at their brain see if they truly care about the position or if they're likely to become corrupt. Imagine if we could hook up a cop and see if they are really there to serve and protect or if they're likely to be overly aggressive to someone based on their ethnicity. If we could hook up a teacher and see if they're there to teach or have a high percentage chance of molesting a student. Of course this could be and would be extended with time to include everyday people, which has its pros and cons. An employer could eventually skip the interview and look directly at your brain to see the answers they're looking for.

Given today's climate, doesn't it seem like that would be a logical step in smoothing things out? If just one police station got the ball rolling, gathering information to use as a baseline in reading cops, I think people around them would feel safer. I'm white and have my own concerns, but I think if I were black, I'd have an increased fear of interacting with a white cop in some areas of this country. Imagine being able to feel safer because all the police around you have been screened and shown that they won't be overly aggressive to you for being you.

Would that not be a smart move? Or is that just asking to open Pandora's Box? Way I see it, we are going to bust that box open at some point in the future.. might as well try to get a jump on using it properly. We could have avoided some rather shitty politicians if we were doing this.

FatherOfNyx 7 Oct 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This might be an appealing daydream, but we can't even identify people who are going to become violent by my measures either physical or psychological. We're not even close to other measures. And this doesn't even deal with the ethical issues involved.

That would be a highly controversial science. I believe the best neuroscience can give us are degrees of probability of certain behaviors, but even that is highly controversial. Who is to say that a cop who for some reason tests high for aggression would not develop into one of the best cops we see, or vice versa. You change environmental stimuli, you can change the course of the brain. Yes, I believe that all thoughts, feelings and behaviors are to some degree measureable and that it all comes from the brain, but to get a snap shot of the brain and make good predictions how someone will behave is highly questionable, even with more understanding. Besides that, there's the moral problem of personal invasion. If my livelihood is entirely dependent on the government or some corporate entity knowing my inner workings, any amount of potential benefit to society this could give would be far outweighed by the negative of invasion of privacy.

hugh Level 5 Oct 4, 2018

There are personality tests which show greed and love of power. Why not have any elected official take these tests so we can all know who we are dealing with? Been suggesting this for years.

Not trying to stereotype, but politicians typically lie and only tell people what they want to hear. If they're taking the test for themselves, I have little doubt that they'll lie to get the results that look good.

@FatherOfNyx still better than what we do now.

Brain scans already detect religious fanatics. I kidd you not. It is on youtube.

Yeah, the fanatics have been shown to have specific brain activity.

I don't know how this technology is going to work when we don't even have reliable lie detectors.

Lie detectors can be fooled. If they're looking directly at your brain and it's activity, provided they know what they're looking at, there's no fooling that.

The technology already works in way of brain scans. FMRI. Functional MRI.

@Slava3 You think FMRI is going to tell you what you should do for a living?

@FatherOfNyx Provided they know what they are looking for. That's big condition that hasn't been met yet.

That would be interesting to scan the brains and get that information. We don't have that capability as of now. I've always been interested in the brain, where we all create the world we live in. I'm sure in the future we will have more brain scans detailing what people are thinking and feeling. Loss of privacy could be a real concern.

...I rather think that's a great idea;
to vote for judges we get what school
they attended-not weather they are
open-minded.

How do you know that conscious awareness of self is caused by the brain? There is no consensus among scientists on that issue.

That's like a theist saying there isn't a consensus among scientists whether or not God exists just because a small handful of scientists believe in God. There is absolutely no evidence that consciousness exists outside the brain/nervous system. Just like how I am not going to believe in God with a complete lack of evidence, I'm not going to believe that consciousness doesn't arise from the brain with a complete lack of evidence. On the other side though, we have plenty of evidence that physically altering your brain can alter your consciousness, self awareness, how you sense, what you feel, and what you think.

It's common for people to say that science doesn't agree as there will always be scientists on either side of the fence on a topic. They say there is no consensus because the science doesn't fit their belief, yet have no scientific evidence for their belief. So unless you can provide physical evidence and not just a philosophical argument, there is no reason for me to believe consciousness exists apart from brain activity.

@FatherOfNyx I agree that bodily sentience is a trait of the body, but deep conscious awareness is in a totally different category. No one knows what that is and there is certainly no proof that it arises from brain activity. Not knowing the nature of consciousness means that we don’t know who or what we ourselves are and we should not rest so proudly under the aegis of scientific knowledge.

BTW, half of all scientists in the US believe in God. When people say that there is a complete lack of evidence, what it means is that they do not accept the evidence, probably because they are clinging desperately to a shaky world view.

@WilliamFleming That's some good physical evidence you provided ?

Maybe an easier task. Know of any legit neuroscientists who believe consciousness exists outside the brain?

@FatherOfNyx Of course they aren’t going to say with assurance that it exists outside the brain. But many of them say that consciousness is a mystery, David Chalmers and others.

[theguardian.com]

Apparently it’s no mystery to you. Please explain the mechanism by which the firing of neurons causes consciousness. You have made the bald-faced assertion that consciousness arises from the brain, so it is up to you to provide credible evidence for your claim.

Cognitive scientist Donald Hoffman has an interesting theory that he calls Conscious Realism.

@WilliamFleming All I've stated was that I'm not going to believe consciousness exists outside the brain with a lack of evidence. By default, that leaves consciousness arising from the brain. Again, it's much like the belief in God. I'm not going to believe in God with a lack of evidence. I don't believe God created life on Earth, so by default that leaves life naturally appearing. You remind me of theists who claim you believe God doesn't exist when you state that you don't believe in God. There is a difference. Just like with abiogenesis, you don't need to know the specifics of consciousness to deny a belief with no evidence supporting it. It still is a mystery. Our neurons form enough connections with one another that if you laid them out in a line, it'd circle the world almost 4 times. There's a ton of complexity there that we will be unravelling over many generations yet. I'm just not going to dip into unravelling under an assumption of a belief with no evidence.

@FatherOfNyx For lack of credible evidence I am withholding belief in your claim.

Did you look at Conscious Realism? What is your opinion?

@WilliamFleming So I am supposed to provide evidence that there is no evidence consciousness exists outside the brain? Lol, ok.

And I briefly looked into it. From what I gather, even though he calls it realism, it's more a form of idealism, which I don't subscribe to.

@WilliamFleming Why do doctors look at brain activity to pronounce someone dead?

@Stephanie99 They are checking for bodily sentience. The body was never anything but a robot. Whenever it appeared to have deep conscious awareness and free will, that was a manifestation of universal consciousness, which lives on and is immortal.

@FatherOfNyx Once you are provided with physical evidence that becomes a knowledge. A bekief is just that, in the abseceof evidence.

@Slava3 What are we referring to here?

@WilliamFleming That would be nice. I don't know of any evidence that would make me believe it though.

@Stephanie99 I don’t actually believe it with 100% certainty either, but the idea fascinates me. It’s the Hindu Brahman, or ultimate reality.

@WilliamFleming The hypothesis that the brain creates consciousness has a vast amount of evidence supporting it. There is no evidence that consciousness creates the brain. In fact, we can clearly see on scans what comes first in decisions - changes in neurochemistry clearly pave the way to changes in consciousness. In other words, we are conscious of our decisions only after the neurochemical change.

@hugh That vast irrefutable evidence certainly proves the correlation of brain activity and bodily sentience, but it doesn’t address knowingness or deep conscious awareness IMO.

The two second time delay in becoming aware of an action ties in nicely with what I am talking about. The body/brain, as an automaton, is set up to survive and accomplish many tasks on its own without conscious oversight. If I want my body to go get a cup of coffe, I have to coax it into action. It’s not me personally who is going for the coffee—I never do anything directly. Why would I know the precise instant that the body will act? That depends on internal processes that are out of my control.

Incidentally, the body is fully capable of making decisions and taking actions on its own, but those actions and decisions are based on instinct, mental analysis, learning, or randomness, and are not an indication of consciousness or free will. It makes total sense that for some bodily actions I would only become aware later.

Neuroscientists might study the correlation between thoughts and neural activity until doomsday and they’ll be no closer to understanding consciousness. Consciousness and thoughts are different things. Ask your local meditator.

We need to more seriously track early behavior, then provide the resources to support treatment programs. Though we’d not be protected from the likes of ‘a trump,’ slipping through due to family wealth, information could be accumulated that might stop another hitler…

Society needs to maintain safeguards and consistently punish or ‘redirect’ those we consider dangerous. Another thing is basic education in mental health; I was amazed by what my daughters had learned of it in high school alone.. With the ability to recognize destructive personality traits, a mental health system capable of treating them, and serious societal expectations and requirements for participation, that may be all we need … or as far as we’re willing to go..

Varn Level 8 Oct 2, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:191570
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.