Agnostic.com

59 19

QUESTION A lot of angry and/or uneducated atheists around here...

Review: A History of God, by Karen Armstrong's (see link)

I've been reading and commenting all over in here, and I see a lot of angry non-believers around. Anger is a secondary emotion usually base on fears or a lack of knowledge. I used to be such an atheist.

I feel I became a much better, less bitter atheist when I stopped choosing to loathe and ignore religion, and instead decided to learn about it's roots (specifically the roots of the Judaic/Christian/Muslim God, Yahweh). It took the actions of 19 guys riding in 4 airplanes to bring me to the point that my lack of understanding about the topic of religion was a detriment to myself, and I sought out to find out how what was purported to be something grand and wonderful had gotten twisted into what it has become today, at least for an alarming large segment of people who profess to believe in God.

I faced my fears--not even realizing at the time that they actually WERE fears--and I found when I did a level of peace and acceptance that I had been lacking. Knowledge is indeed power, and the book that I've linked to is an excellent starting point for anyone who wants to gain an understanding of where and when and how Western society came to have these beliefs in a higher power, and what it means today.

The book is written as a historical tour, using resources that most of us will never have access to, and will give you insights that will reshape your views on religion all together. It takes us from the dawn of Judaism through to about the 16th century, detailing what was happening in the societies in which each part of the 3 books (the Torah, the Bible, and the Qur'an) were written, providing context and understanding of the past that most of us share, and of which we are decendent from.

The follow-up book from the same author, "Battle for God", is a must-have to understand our current religious and, yes, political environment, for the two are intertwined throughout history, and serves as a fine basis to not only grasp, but also challenge the beliefs of current religious believers.

I cannot recommend highly enough that you consider and follow through reading both of these books, and it is my hope that in doing so you may let go of some hate and/or fear, for in doing so we have the best chance of becoming our best selves, which in turn may help others find their ways out of the harsh and hateful religious views that pervades our society today.

Happy reading!

ravnostic 6 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (51 - 59)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree religion has indeed been Twisted . The Twisted form of religion is what rules, and most of us here despise it. I believe it's too late to reform religion. It's twisting began at its invention.

I posit that we have to untwist it. We already know what happens if you simply try to dismiss it, we called it 9-11 (of course there are many other examples of terrorism as well.)

"The divisions created by religion are deeper and potentially more harmful than those formed through other aspects of identity such as race, nationality or political affiliations because they confront individuals with differing opinions on the ultimate purpose of life, experts say. And more than 80 percent of those surveyed said that religious beliefs guide a person's behavior."

I did not write the above and I sure hope the quotation marks suffice! Who's angry?! Not I said the spider to the fly....

Good point. Source? 😛

I find anger to be a great motivator. I'm rarely appreciative of condescension. You do you.

Likewise. Live your own truth.

Somehow you sound like a believer who is not only angry but needs to let the world know you are.

Lolz, I toyed with belief for about 6 months when I was 8 or 9. I do feel I am compassionate toward others, including (these days) Christians. Saddens me this didn't come across the way I'd intended, but such is life, I will try to do better.

Thanks for the character analysis.

Lolz, mine? Or the book I pimped out?

I am only angry with the religious superiority complex, the I believe this so that makes me better ideolgy

So now you have to be educated to be atheist... what if is not anger? Sometimes is Personality... Alfa Dogs have a tendency Not to Back Down. Stop reading books and Start Living Son. And then again there are those on War with religion and god that just go 24/7 looking for a battlefield. So...

Good for you! Enjoy!

Sorry but i have rtead these nomes and experienced religion in my childhood and adulthood which have convienced me to be an atheist As a child I was punished foir asking questions the nuns could not answer as well as the priest only to go home to a family who supported these actions . The latter waqs such a farce because they never practiced these rituals themselves. Then I look at the miracles of today the churches destroyed while people in side receive no harm ,children who suffer horrible disease from an all powerful loving god!Religion has been throughout history no more than the con man taking advantage of those who retain fear over logic as their premise to life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19263
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.