Agnostic.com

22 3

Do you think faith healers should be tried for murder and attempted murder if they encourage their victims to stop taking their medication?

To me that’s a criminal act. I mean they’re taking a person’s belief and religion and taking full advantage to make money. Then they feed off of the fact that these people are already deluded in their belief and in their mind, they are trusting fully in their god and showing their god that they trust it fully, despite lack of evidence for this god or any real evidence of miracles, yet so many has died under the influence of a faith healer encouraging them to stop taking the medication they desperately needed.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

EmeraldJewel 7 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hear you Emerald... as long as they're adults. People have the right to be that stupid. Adults do not have the right to cause harm to children or animals.

That’s true, but I absolutely lose it when I see his poison being told to children. Adults should at least know better.

They are con artists.

Actually some medications are lethal. We live in a world where there just aren't answers or road maps to the truth. We all have to work at finding our own truth. Blind faith in faith healers is dangerous. Blind faith in allopathic medicine is also not so reliable, unfortunately. Sometimes yes; sometimes not so good.

Just to be clear, you're talking only about faith healers and not homeopathic healers, correct?

I personally see them as two different things. Faith healers should be shot on site (metaphorically), but definitely should be charged with at least manslaughter. Homeopathic healers should not be charged, however it would be in their best interest to have the patient sign a waiver stating that he's voluntarily forgoing medical care.

We are living in a national society and that society has agreed on a lot of laws. If it can be proven that someone (and that also counts for faith healers) has acted against laws, he or she should be arrested and have his or her day(s) in court.
That having said, there should be laws against this kind of abuse if abuse is proven. But in judging there should also be considered that everybody has the freedom to seek the help he or she thinks will work best. And than the dilemma shows up, is someone who is indoctrinated from childhood on free in determining his or her will. It's a hard nut to crack.

Gert Level 7 Jan 29, 2018

@SchuylaRDiamond Indeed it is, and the state- and federal laws are far from ideal, but it is what we have to deal with. There is already too many popular tribunals on Facebook and Twitter that lead to lynching. And it's a precarious balance. Think of #metoo where many women and also men open up about sexual abuse. At last they have a voice. But these things are very hard to prove, especially after so many years. But people get punished without trial. Special by loosing their job. These people should be trialed, even with the risk of proven innocent. And to be honest, people are good but evil as well. I'm convinced that there are also quite some accusations that are false. Just for revenge or so. Really a precarious balance.

Absolutely yes. Fraud is fraud, worst yet this has the worst possible outcome of all frauds.

Or any other fallacy that causes someone to be harmed, like "removing" their pain, the thing that tells them something is wrong. Some are susceptible to brainwashing. Yes, those cons should have consequences.

They also sell a lot of faith bullshit and "magical" objects.Your money AND your health.

Equally should governments and purported philanthropists be allowed to force medication on individuals? Here in Australia it has got to the point where forced mass medication is occurring through fluoride poisoning of the public water supplies, kindergarten and school children are not admitted unless they have been vaccinated, GMO contamination of food supply is allowed without the fact being labelled to empower consumers, depleted uranium is used to create generational genocide in foreign countries etc. When will people be held to account for this?

Nope, but I am not a law man. I am not for big pharma either neither religion of any kind so I will excuse myself with no dog in the fight. Talk about yourselves.

Tried for murder in extreme cases yes i think so

This is a difficult issue. If faith healers actually believe in what they are doing then they by definition are brain washed or not sane and thus victims themselves. This being said, there is no doubt that people like Peter Popoff [en.wikipedia.org] were simply crooks and a danger to society that at the least should be incarcerated to protect society.

If there are children involved, especially. However I have a problem with the whole "send-em-to-jail!!!" response to everything that happens, from dog mistreatment to school shootings.

They should be charged, but I don't think they would be charged with murder. Maybe involuntary manslaughter? Aggravated or gross negligence?

Lol maybe I went too far out of my fit of rage, due to all the dumb people that should know better. I agree with what you said.

@EmeraldJewel I mean it's a fine line though lol. I guess they COULD be charged with murder. Knowingly peddling useless treatments and telling people not to take their meds. I guess they could say they really believed in it though. I don't know.

@EmeraldJewel I'm not sure, but I also think there is legally extra responsibility put on public figures.

I agree that it should be criminal to "sell" fake healing or advertise oneself as a "healer" since this is essentially fraud and deception. They should be thrown in prison for a few years. This would help dissuade this type of predatory deception.

But ultimately, people are responsible for their own well being. If my own poor decisions result in my early death, then that's my own fault. It would have been my decision to believe in baseless nonsense.

That’s true.

If I defraud someone with fake cancer medication I go to prison, why not these people too?

No, but any group's leader who makes more than 80 thousand a year shouldn't get tax free status.

I agree. They should be help accountable:/

It's a nice idea but I don't think it's feasible. You're looking at First Amendment issues for one thing.

A lot of crimes aren't crimes under the guise of religion and/or country.

Yes, they should be held legally responsible.

if their efforts resulted in death or harm to the patient. Harmless activity should not be punished. With respect to faith healing, I would not want to encourage it. As a scam it should be punished. If not done for bogus gain then let it go, if no harm is done.

No.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19346
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.