Agnostic.com

14 0

Personal evolution?

Just curious: have you found that your other views change over time as you leave religion behind?

Nottheonlyone 7 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I never had to leave religion behind because I was brought up in a nonreligious family and went to church with friends just for the fun of it. I never believed there could be a God because it just seemed like Santa Claus no real proof that a person or entity could do the things claimed by religion so I guess I have been agnostic all my life and I don't seem to have problems other people do with religious people, I try not to talk about religion with them is the best way I've found.

dc65 Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

Welcome to our little place and may you find joy and happiness in our little site. Just be yourself.

I left religion behind before I had any views.

they can anyway without religion

Of course. the more that one learns the more him or her images of the world changes. We, unless we are cognitively dead, are constantly re-evaluating our beliefs and opinions.

Having never been really, truly religious, I find my views have changed, but more by way of experience and maturity.

For example, when I stopped believing in God, I continued to struggle with other beliefs that had been formed by my religious upbringing: the nature and importance of forgiveness, and the "sinfulness" of expressing sexuality (particularly as a woman), among others.

Absolutely, yes. But it's not a one-way causation. Secularism didn't just change my views on social issues, psychology, politics, environment awareness, etc. My evolving beliefs and values in those areas also informed my transition away from religion.

I stopped believing and four years later changed my whole world view.

I gave up my faith nearly thirty years ago and I still struggle with remnants of my upbringing...

yep... conservatism to liberalism.

Yay! me too!

I find my views change regardless of my previously held beliefs given sufficient evidence. I was never religious, even as a young Catholic child I didn't believe in God. As I mature and learn I grow and hopefully become wiser despite being the ignorant fool that I am.

I never had religion, but my core belief system has stayed the same, but life has changed how I look at some of those core beliefs. I've always been a tolerant listener, but I am much better at looking at things through other people's eyes.

Of course and even before I left religion. The meaning of life (all life) is to evolve and for us humans that evolution means learning and, hopefully, changing one's views.

I found that being less beholden to my religious upbringing and structures of authority allowed me to think about issues through a different lens, perhaps a clearer lens, where I'm more skeptical but also more willing to hear other sides of an issue. It didn't happen overnight, and perhaps it's a bit of the chicken-and-egg dynamic, but I feel like I'm more open intellectually, less inclined to bow to authority, and less judgmental toward other people (e.g., adopted more of a live-and-let-live approach).

Good job. That's very much the attitude I hope I have.
Sometimes I don't trust myself that I'm as non-judgemental as I think I am. But that's pretty much what I aspire to.

@RichCC Oh, I fall well short of perfect, but I feel like I've improved considerably from the judgmental prick I used to be. 🙂

"Oh, I fall well short of perfect, but I feel like I've improved considerably from the judgmental prick I used to be."
That is the most honest response! And for a guy to admit it no less, kidding sort of. 😉
I really respect that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19397
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.