Agnostic.com

135 5

Do atheists observe Halloween?

Since, most don't believe in ghosts and other silly stuff that goes along with the holiday. Do we still observe some of it for the children. I rather ignore it like the rest of the religious holidays.

freedom41 9 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Only for the costumes!

I am an author. I write fiction. Sometimes my fiction is about the supernatural. I am an atheist. Enough said.

It has no real historical history behind it. I see it as a way for people to make some good money with seasonal stores.

Not a fan but it doesn't have to be a religious or superstitious holiday. It also doesn't have to be diabetic inducing. It can just be a good excuse to dress up like a slutty or scary whatever. Raise your freak flag.

I can read Tolkein without believing in elves. I can watch Doctor Who without believing that time is a ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... stuff. Why do I have to believe in ghosts and vampires to celebrate Halloween?

You mean time isn't a ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey? I'm devastated!

@CommonHuman I second that. My two hearts are breaking!

What! No vampires! I'm bummed!

I consider it to be a secular holiday for most these days. It's fun. So, yes, I enjoy Halloween.

Hell !
Free candy

I've never been much on samhain or the Catholic church changing the day -- but I enjoy the children dressed up as they want and giving out candy. I don't celebrate and of the deities surrounding the day. It's like April 1st -- has no value except for fun.

I participate in whatever holidays are upon us in myriad ways -- all except for the religious aspects -- whenever I feel like it. Trick-or-treating was fun when I was a kid, and I think my daughter enjoyed it when she was a kid. Sure, it's silly. But, fun, friends, family and gatherings are good silly.

Hell yes.

OCJoe Level 6 Oct 8, 2018

Halloween is my favorite holiday

I don't care for it much now other than that it's in the fall and the fall is my favorite season. I like the movies on tv during October because of Halloween. I used to like it as a kid because of candy and chocolate. I went to an adult Halloween party a few years ago as the Gingerbread Man. Other than that, I don't care much. It can be fun though.

You get to dress up, there is alcohol and candy involved, and the one day when no matter how silly or weird you are, you fit in. Why would you not participate?

It's a great excuse for breaking your diet and eating candy.

I love holidays even chrismas its more about family and friends than anything else.
But yes i love Halloween I love candy, dressing up, spooky stuff, and of course how happy it makes the kids. But I aslo love it out of spite bc my overly religious mother wouldn't let me celebrate as a kid because it was "the devils birthday".

How can you ignore free candy?

All that candy and decorating. How can I say no?

It's psychologically useful for people to get outside of themselves every once in a while.

When I was a kid, halloween wasn't observed in my country. But american consumerism wasn't going to allow an untapped market so some years back we started adopting it. When my kids were little it was fun to see their delight. I have no interest in it now.

True, it was the same in England. We just had mischievous night !

Halloween, as it is practiced in the USA, is not very religious. Most view it as a chance to party and wear a costume. Of course kids enjoy dressing up for candy as well.

We aren't a monolith. Some do and some don't.

You do you! I've been an atheist my whole life and I still go all in for christmas and halloween. I don't like easter traditions so I don't bother with them (although i've entertained the idea of a treat hunt for the dogs). Holidays are whatever you make them. If you want to ignore it, that's awesome too.

I like Easter based on the old meanings. Life and rebirth. I love Spring.

@Angielove I live in Florida. We don't have seasons.

@klang72 I can see how Easter wouldn't appeal to you. Florida is also beautiful. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 6 months. Those Summer months ran me back up north though.

@Angielove Well that's very kind of you to say. Florida can be beautiful in the same way the flames that dance over a dumpster on fire might. Personal opinion.

Hahahaha!!! It’s just like Matt Dilahunty said,” Don’t think you’re wrong for wanting to have fun just because someone tried to take that fun and slap their Jesus all over it.” All holidays should just be a way in life so live to the fullest!!!

I like celebrations... period. Halloween is my favorite because it is silly, fun and can be made non-religious if you leave out certain aspects. Just because I don't believe in any religion or the existence of god doesn't mean I don't believe in living life joyously... being silly is part of that.

mmmm candy, pumpkin, monsters, witches, black cats, goblins, ghosts....YAY!

I love halloween. My favorite holiday.

If you take the religion out, holidays are just fun.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:195160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.