Agnostic.com

8 3

God-like beliefs?

What are some beliefs that you've heard that you feel are just as silly as the belief in gods? They might not be as harmful as religion, but I've come across a few that I think are just as asinine to believe in. I've at least seen hints of quite a few of them on here as well.

Ancient aliens. Whether they visited Earth and interacted with humans or altered our DNA. Ridiculous and usually a belief of someone who doesn't understand evolution.

The multiverse. Pretty much all forms of it are silly. There's a few different versions. We are in a bubble universe surrounded by an infinite number of other bubble universes. Or there's an infinite number of parallel universes running through one another and we're connected to them all. Whatever the twist, just ridiculous.

Reality is a computer program/hologram. This one is funny, but facepalm worthy. Kind of circle backs to the intelligent design of a creator, not actually very intelligent.

Collective consciousness, universal consciousness. This is one I see a good bit. The belief that there is a literal collective consciousness where our thought waves emanate and influence those around us. Or the belief that the universe has consciousness. There is no proof that consciousness exists outside the brain.

What other beliefs have you come across that are just as laughable as the belief in gods?

FatherOfNyx 7 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would throw in Karma and Art with a capital 'A'.

Edited to add collective consciousness to the list.

I strive to live and evidence, facts and data existence. Until some evidence, facts and data can be produced to verify and support somethings existence, then it doe not exist until some evidence, facts and data is produced. I do accept that any hypothesis can be formulated on anything and there are numerous ones out there.

Ancient Alien race altering the course of our evolution - ridiculous given our present knowledge and understanding, BUT, consider the possibility that the original building blocks ( amino acids) of life on this planet may have actually arrived here from elsewhere in the Universe via a comet, meteor, etc, then it could be possible.
Multiverse/s, - we only see what we can see ( and in truth that is NOT very much at all given our technological standards here and now) so who knows for certain what is out there and around the corner so to speak,
Reality is a computer programme, a complete and utter bunch of horse-shit in my opinion.
Some that give me a bloody good belly laugh are;
The earth is only some 6,500+ years old because thats what the Bible Scholars have calculated, and the very best is,
The Flat Earther ideology, the Earth is a flat disc, not an oblate ( bulging in the middle) spheroid.

I'm on board with some building blocks of life forming in space. It's actually pretty likely that some of the building blocks were already forming in the dust cloud Earth formed from before Earth was forming. That idea is called soft panspermia, the idea that some building blocks to life came from space and is highly likely. Hard panspermia is the idea that fully formed life, most likely bacteria, that could survive space landed on and seeded out planet. While possible, not as likely as life coming together on Earth with some of the building blocks coming from space.

Reality being a computer program is the same as god, to my way of thinking. Where is this computer supposed to be? What sort of reality does it exist in? Who programmed it? (Would have to be god, surely?)
I wish I could give a belly laugh to the 6500+ year and flat earth ideas, but they just make me sad.

@Coffeo Sssssh, don't say that too loud, " A computer being the God," you'll have the Faithfools claiming that one as well as everything else they jump on like scavengers at a carcass.

Flat earthers

What, you haven't herd of the Flat Earther Movement?
Jeez Louise mate, where have you been living, the poor deluded buggers are posting their insanity on the Net on a regular basis.

@Triphid
I have heard of them, my son is one of them.

@xenoview What, is he a Conspiracy Theorist or a Flat-Earther or both?

@Triphid
I think he's both.

@xenoview Shit a brick mate, I think he's got it bad.

I find libertarians to have god like beliefs.

Yep, just like ever so many politicians do as well, our Aussie P.M. Scum Mo Morrison for example.

Your three examples are all pretty far-fetched, but I don't think we're actually in a position to rule any of them out for sure. Ancient aliens to me seems the least likely of the three.

That's kind of the point, they're not falsifiable. I mean, the ancient aliens one is probably the closest to being falsifiable.. but they're set up in a way that can't really be proven. The multiverse is the worst cause if what it implies is true and it's possible to prove the existence of an infinite number of realities with an infinite number of possibilities, if anyone is working on proving the multiverse, there would be someone in another universe working to prevent them from proving it. If it is true, pretty much everything and anything will be cancelled out.

@FatherOfNyx Science doesn't do proof.

@Coffeo It falsifies, hence "they're not falsifiable".

@FatherOfNyx Exactly.

@Coffeo I'm confused, lol. I was simply explaining how the multiverse can't be falsified.

@FatherOfNyx You also talked about someone working on "proving" the multiverse, a futile endeavor.

@Coffeo Yeah, that was the point. Maybe I'll reword it. Any attempt to falsify the multiverse would be cancelled out. With most multiverse beliefs, any and all possibilities are true. So if someone were to try to falsify it, it's a possibility that there is a multiverse out there with someone who is willing and able to negate their efforts to falsify the multiverse.

@FatherOfNyx Yes, and my point is that both attempts are futile.

Homeopathy

Homeopathy ( Home o' Pathetic ideas) is my take on that subject.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:196485
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.