Agnostic.com

15 4

Career Advice- Follow your dreams or be practical?

So I'm trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up. Up until now, I've been doing what feels interesting to me and following my passions. But honestly, every job has just felt like a job at the end of the day and if that's the case, I could be doing something far more lucrative and less stressful. Is it a mistake to get into something for the money or flexible schedule instead of for my passions?

• 15 votes
  • 3 votes
klang72 5 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Always follow your dreams. Unless you can't happily support yourself financially. I started down the path of focusing on jobs that are okay but you make a lot of money and it makes your life feel like a chore. It's short, enjoy it. I love my job now and I don't make much, especially how dangerous and unpredictable it is, but it's worth it to me helping people and enjoying life.

tj509 Level 4 Nov 18, 2018

All depends on what you value. Quality of life. Even if you get your perfect job it would eventually still be a job. So isn't it better do some enjoy and get then do something you don't and get

Titus Level 2 Oct 21, 2018

Take small but legitimate steps towards your dreams. I have a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering Technology and a job that is fine for the moment, but I aspire to do and have so much more so I am taking a course after work at a nearby community college so I can build up another certification or associate's degree and I took the GRE to hopefully get into a master's program. I am not expecting to have everything run smoothly or get me to the top but once I accomplish stages then I am further than I was. Being practical is to be safe and avoid risks, but it also means to avoid change and progression. I am rooting for you to get where you want.

It's sort of the opposite for me. Staying in my field and following my passions means I don't have to do any extra work but making a change to improve quality of life would be quite the undertaking. I already have two masters degrees in the education field so if I want to stay here I'm pretty set. Getting a computer science degree would be a huge risk and a lot of work.

@klang72 Are you a teacher?

@Millzy Not anymore. I'm an Autism Consultant now. But I'm still in the education field.

My actual advise is to find a balance.

I asked myself: How do I want to spend the years of my life while also not knowing how long that may be?

Marz Level 7 Oct 10, 2018

Traveling! But I can't afford to do that. = ( I think my issue is that while I like my job well enough, I can't afford to do a whole lot on my off time.

Find the best way to merge the two.

Even if you have employment that's essentially practical, I think you should still make time to pursue your dreams as often as possible, because you can't ever retrieve the time you lost waiting for the "right time," and even if you have to do what you love only occasionally or for little or no income, you will still acquire invaluable skills and experience. Plus you will likely meet and befriend others who share your passion. Or more succinctly, follow your heart, & use your head to do so wisely.

My degree made it possible to choose to teach in two different disciplines. One paid approximately twice what the other paid -- however I didn't like the stiffness and formality of the people who would have been my colleagues or the attitudes most common in students in that field. I made the less well remunerated choice and have been glad I did. I still made enough to be relatively comfortable and was much happier than I would have been with the other choice. Life is too short not to do what you find fulfilling.

I had a similar choice a few years ago. I wanted to get into adult education so had a choice of doing something with a practical application or do something that I'd love, I chose the latter as I would more likely stick with something I love. 7 years later I had a certificate and diploma in Egyptology and a degree in history and archaeology 🙂

So you're glad you followed your passion?

@klang72 Absolutely 🙂

Follow your dreams, but be practical.
If you are rich and miserable, is that a good existence?

Obviously it's a balancing act with what you want to do and the living in reality. With that being said, I think people prioritize money over dreams day to often. I think we get lead around caching money, working for someone else instead for ourselves.

JeffB Level 6 Oct 9, 2018

I agree. But some dreams require money. I'd love to retire some day and I'd love to travel and neither of those are ever going to happen at this rate.

@klang72 agreed. Running into the same issue.

Maybe these jobs have ended up feeling like just a job at the end of the day because you really aren't as passionate about those areas of interest as you thought you were? Or maybe they were the wrong kinds of jobs to fire-up your passions, instead throwing cold water on them? For me, that would be like working within space exploration, but in a Human Resources department.

Follow your dreams! If you can find a way to make money with one of your passions you will never work a day in your life! Plus you will probably do that "job" better than anyone else since you love doing it!

I love my job and consider my life a working vacation!

Neither is inherently wrong. Do what you think it best for you.

I voted to follow your dreams, but I don't believe it has to be mutually exclusive. Even if you find a job or career you love, it's still called 'work', not 'play'. There are going to be aspects of anything you do that you will not enjoy. You have to decide two things, how much can you compromise between the two now. Second, and more important, how flexible will you be in this career you choose now to change when your willingness to compromise b/w freedom and security as you get older, wiser, etc. changes.

I heard someone say once, life isn't a game, it's a series of games....many being played at the same time. The secret is not to focus winning one game, at the detriment of all the others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:197077
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.