Agnostic.com

30 8

Are atheists in general, more intelligent than religious people?

I have yet to meet a dumb atheist. We all seem to know more about science, english, history, politics, and religion. I do know some smart Xtians. We all, (most of us) use a college graduate's English level vocabulary. I've read a study/article about testing religious people in subjects, then doing the same testing with atheists. Who do you think were the intelligent ones to prove the study to be correct? Some of us did start out religious as well. I seemed to have smartened up since I became an atheist. I have put my common sense to good use. I tend to think more logically now. I take what I learned in high school and college and apply that knowledge to my every day life. Are we smarter than the average Joe Xtians?

Sarahroo29 8 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are lots of types of stupidity and I've met plenty of stupid atheists, graduates, yes, articulate, yes, but stupid on a very profound level.

Wow. I've never met a stupid atheist.

I've met tons. The common element is arrogance, constantly claiming politicians are soooo stupid, the military is sooo incompetent for not having an exit strategy, they can't see avarice when it's staring them in the face

It's exactly the same problem as religious people have, of deciding what is so and then substituting that for the actual reality.

It's been over a year since Donald Trump won the election but it's amazing how many people still have no realistic understanding of why.

Dang, the media is the same, they could just ask one of the millions of the unaffiliated who voted Trump to find out why and I'm sure the media must know but they won't publish it because it would offend their readers/viewers and I would do the same, so they leave people in the dark where they want to be.

That thar's my sonic screwdriver

'nothing says non-terrestrial like a sonic screwdriver!'

a (1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : reason; also : the skilled use of reason
(2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly

I think atheists are more intelligent because they don't let fear inhibit them. However, do you become more intelligent when you let go of religion or is the potential always there?

I had a good friend who attended a Catholic seminary in England. When he graduated from HS and was to enter college he had to decide to sign a paper saying he would go on to the priesthood. He looked around and saw that those who signed tended to be the simple people who never asked questions. He had a lot of questions and felt he couldn't be a good priest unless he had answers, so he left the school.

I don't think they are necessarily smarter, however, they are likely to be freethinkers who question religious dogma. Religious dogma, in general, is a bit silly and anyone who can figure out that Santa is not real should be able to figure out that those religious myths we tell ourselves are equally fictitious. But religion does provide comfort, and a sense of community, and many people are unwilling to give that up. Furthermore, if we admit that it is not likely that there is a god, and most likely there is no afterlife, that requires one to face their mortality in a way most people would rather not. Most people do not think about things.

While I tend to surround myself with intelligent atheists and agnostics, I can't use that as proof that atheists and agnostics are more intelligent. It is just as likely I am surrounding myself with people that think like I do.

sounds to me like YOU'RE a smart man. 🙂

I think stupid people tend to be more biased and credulous.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19729
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.