Agnostic.com

14 1

Does "the atheist closet" detract from what homosexual individuals went through?

I am currently trying to find the right time/context to tell my parents that I'm an atheist (it won't be for a while since I'm still fairly dependent on them) and I came to asking whether or not it was fair to call it "the atheist closet".
Since I'm only going through one, I bring the question to those of you that have experienced both. Are the 2 comprable, or does it take advantage of the struggle that many of you experienced?

thezekroman 5 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe the concept of "being in the closet" today is accepted as meaning, "there's an aspect of you that you hide for fear of negative reactions". I feel it's ok to use it when speaking about it with regards to being an atheist, as long as you don't try to equate another group's struggles with out own. Yes, there are similarities between the struggles of most minority groups; however the nature of those struggles are often vastly different.

At least that's how I see it.

As a gay man and atheist I am not offended by the use of the term atheist closet. I myself have used it before and believe the analogy is close enough. When I came out as gay to my family it was very emotionally hard for me and I chose my words carefully. I think it was especially difficult because it was the first time I had ever done anything like that. It was accepted and I felt a sense of respect from them for having gone through that.

Years later I came out to my family as atheist (minus my father who had passed) and it too was accepted and my mother confessed she had doubts also but was afraid. This too gave me a sense of respect from them and was easier than the first coming out.

I feel fortunate that I came from a family that had an open mind, at least in part. But all families are not created equal in this way and I was independent of them at the time. I do not know which of these revelations was harder for them to accept but I do think in our culture being godless is considered to be worse.

I can relate to Crusader because I like to crash religious websites. Probably in an attempt to get them to see another less fearful way of thinking. Occasionally I find someone who will intelligently debate with me but mostly angry people afraid that god is watching them and they must prove their worth by shouting me down.

Crusader's posts are full of misinformation and misunderstanding. Don't let him get to you because we have critical thinking on our side

Thanks for your input, and I'm happy that your family is so supportive of you

I'm struggling to understand why the terminology of the act is important to you? If I were you I'd just focus on working out how to tell your parents and have a plan for a potentially positive outcome and a potentially negative outcome.

Thanks for your thoughts. I already have a good idea of how to come out, but I think it would be safer to wait until I'm less dependent on them

@thezekroman That's fair, unfortunately you may be dealing with a negative outcome and those discussions can sometimes spiral out of control. Good Luck.

That dude Crusader is off the chain. I know that it's not on topic, but dude is wild. Answering your question if you didn't mean for it to be disrespectful i don't see a problem. From family, to jobs atheists can come some of the same scrutiny, and treatment. Especially in the job area. You could lose a job that you actually like, or need because of being atheist. My personal opinion is I don't see anything wrong with it.

Yeah, that guy has some issues...

@PalacinkyPDX For sure... about to!

I can see how it could be offensive to someone who is gay only because being gay is not optional and is biological. While I am not sure I could ever believe in a religion today, it is absolutely a choice. A smart choice but not biological.

The more that I think about it being an atheist among theists is just as risky as being gay for most of the same reasons and in the same communities. Infidel or abomination in the believer's eyes is not acceptable. In both instances you are better off hiding it.

@Crusader Why do you think being gay is optional? So you could choose to just find men attractive one day? What about other animals that show the aqmw signs? Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean your opinion has merit to it. You're comparing apples to rocks when you try to put pedo, bestiality, incest, and others. What evidence do you have to support that it's a choice other than some people you know?

@Crusader no it isnt, and no you dont. You can be gay and choose to pretend youre straight, like most homophobia is rooted in self loathing, but you can't choose which sex youre attracted to. My sex life would be so much more exciting if i were gay; If I could make it a choice Ida definitely dabbled over there by now, if only to make people like you uncomfortable, but I can't do it. Are you saying when you hit puberty you had to make a list of pros and cons to decide which sex youre attracted to? You believers are more confused than I thought ? Seriously, if youre trying to admit to us that you could be talked into sucking a dick, Im pretty sure you already want to. Suck on something, even if it means sacrificing everything. Just suck it.

@Crusader What an ignorant person you are. One’s sexual orientation cannot be altered and religious types like you are what caused the problems with people having to repress their natural born inclinations....leading to loveless and unfulfilling marriages and sometimes mental illness and suicide. Keep you ignorant and unscientific views to yourself.

@Crusader What is this scientific evidence to which you refer? Historically ignorance abounded, fortunately we live in more enlightened times, and what parameters are you using to class behaviour as deviant? Are you religious? Because if you are , all your thinking is coloured by your illogical belief system whether you are conscious of it or not. Religious belief stops critical thinking.

@OwlInASack I joined in without realising he was a hate filled believer. Now I am aware, I will not be responding to anything he posts.

What is an "atheist closet"? This is the first time I've ever heard of it. I am a non beliwver and proud.

Some people are afraid to come out as atheist to overtly religious parents, in the same way as coming out as gay. Both could result in being disowned, mocked, or shamed.

Yes I feel it is comparable. Today in most place being gay is accepted more than being atheist. Luckily most places people are not as dangerous as they were 10 years ago. But then we have trumpism on rise pulling us backward so it might change in a few years. Maybe start by saying you have a friend who does not believe in the sky monkey.

@Crusader and helping us out with the pesky problem of not being exposed to enough asbestos and radiation. Cancer and lung disease arent superpowers, asshole.

well coming out in either situation will most likely land you in a very strained relationship with your parents. but coming out as a homosexual is much harder.

I'd say it could only be offensive to someone who is LBGTQ and it seems unlikely that they'd be in the group to which you are speaking. If you are worried someone in the audience could take offense, skip that analogy.

I will say that I take offense at Pro-Life advocates likening it to th Holocaust. Also, likening Israeli policies to Apartheid. In both cases, the crude and sloppy application of the analogies are intended to offend and expression of their bigotry is taken as a matter of pride.

Also note the use of the word science in Creation Science. Again, part of the motivation is to offend the third party, those who revere the scientific method. And for the third time, it comes from political Christians.

@OwlInASack how old are you? I remember when Palestinian would high jack Israeli air lines, They would bomb commute buses, night clubs and parties full of children! This started when i can understand what was going on in the late 50s. Yes late 50s. Israel tried to live in peace with them. But they have been attacked even before the UN turned the land over to them to make their own state. Its not Jews never lived there in the past. Th romans chased them out rounding them up to be slaves the Egyptians did it before then. In fact both religions were invented in the same place. That is why I am atheist because I see the evils in imaginary gods and religions.

Not at all. No more than someone having diabetes detracts from someone suffering with cancer. More than one group can be discriminated against and persecuted. While arguably atheists aren't being attacked and beaten out of hatred, we are openly disdained in many places. Being an atheist can make life very difficult and even bar people from holding office or getting a job, depending on where they live. I doubt it is mere coincidence that every politician I can think of has professed his or her faith, despite that it is statistically improbable that a far portion of them are not atheist or agnostic.

@Crusader

There are a lot of communities sprinkled throughout the nation where it is very difficult for an atheist to get certain jobs. Think of the thousands of small communities dotted throughout the Bible belt where everyone knows everyone else's business. I personally know someone who left the military after about 20 years. He was a doctor. He tried to get a job at the hospital in the small Kentucky community where he grew up. He was well qualified, but the hiring committee got wind of his "lack of Christian faith" and they went cold on him. They ended up bringing in a kid fresh off his residency from somewhere out east about 6 months later. And I feel pretty confident there are other stories like this. Which is why I have never let it be known I am an atheist in my places of work over the years. Especially not in a city nicknamed "The City of Churches", and where I have openly been threatened by someone after he learned I was an atheist. So yeah, it happens.

Also, please show me an elected official who is openly atheist, especially at the time he or she campaigned. I know there is a significantly higher incidence of atheism among those with above average intelligence and education. Since many of our elected officials tend to be better educated and above average in intelligence, it is statistically very probable that a significant portion of them are nonbelievers. But they're politicians, so in a country where over 70% of the population identifies with the Christian faith, they pander to that very large demographic. 😀

I have little advice to offer, but want to add support and encouragement. Moving from the West Coast to the Houston area - I am finding that the skeptic, non-believing community is thriving in the area. I know the churches in the area (the higher the hair, the closer to god?) might suggest otherwise, but I am finding that there are many, plenty who share our thoughts. You are not alone.

If you haven't, I would suggest you watch the YouTube videos of Genetically Modified Skeptic. A few good ones include:

Thanks! I'm a huge fan of Genetically Modified Skeptic. Appreciate your support!

IMO Things did not really change for LGBTQ people until they got loud & proud & people realized it was their brothers, sons, best friends, not "aliens" to be feared.
I have seen a number of posts on here, especially lately, where people "came out" to their families, with trepadition, only to find their family was atheist/ agnostic as well!

@Crusader "always loud & proud"? You sir are COMPLETELY ignorant of the Facts! LGBTQ people up until quite recently were legally persecuted, heavily. To ease into actual Truth, try watching the movie "Philadelphia" starring Tom Hanks. Or look up the laws in Ghana, where gays are still executed! Or Russia, where they are persecuted legally.

@Crusader aaaahhhh, "Jewish film"....that phrase alone tells me more about you than I really need to know.

@Crusader $20 says you have NO "close friends who are gay", and another $20 says you have close personal friends who know Pepe, or maybe Putin,
You are tiresome, predictable, and don't know how to spell or express yourself in what you claim is your native language. Hey, Trolls, you are paying this one too much!

I do not think so. They both have risks. Both can cause problems in the home and in with relationships. Even as society has progressed acceptance has not.

no. borrowing a phrase for something that's not trivial doesn't trivialize the lender. the two may not be comparable in scope, but both can create anxiety and coming out in both cases has real-life consequences that can be life-changing. besides, some lgbt people are atheists too!

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:197417
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.