Agnostic.com

15 2

did you loose faith, or gain a sense of reality?

why do people state i lost my faith? i don't feel that way at all, i feel i found a better set of standards.

MichaelSpinler 8 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I once told my father, that I have a more realistic view of humanity, when I eliminate the burden of religion, never knew my father to be religious, at least not until his own mortality became a concern.
In any event I feel like I tapped into a never ending reality that has no limits.

I remember going to church with my grandparents when I was a kid and thinking “this is all very weird!” I never really had faith and felt more comfortable with logic and reason.

Reality is always at your door for your whole life. You have to actively not answer the call in order to remain faithful. If it gets in or you stop rebelling and invite it in, reality will take over more and more of your life. Ultimately it doesn't matter, but deconstructing my faith led me to embrace things as they really are.

gained a sense of realitiy

Zorro Level 4 Oct 23, 2017

Faith, what a strange word! I believe people that let go of such extreme thinking finds a sense of freedom to be who they truly are. Yes, reality in knowing one doesn't have to follow the main stream of bullshit anymore.

I lost faith and gained a sense of reality. It was over time because there were many incidents that caused me to question the validity of it all until I just said, "fuck it. I'm out of here."

SamL Level 7 Oct 22, 2017

i remember being about 4 and thinking "this sounds like bullshit"

Good for you!

I don’t believe I experienced either. I gained freedom. I always felt that religion was about guilt and punishment. I realized that I was a really good person, not because I wanted to get into heaven, but because I like being kind to people. I also thought it was bullshit that someone could be a jackass for their entire life and confess Jesus to be their savior and gain entrance into heaven. It just didn’t make any sense to me.

When I allowed myself to let go of the fear and guilt, I felt a freedom like never before. I am in control of my life and my future. I don’t pray for a job, I work my ass off to earn the position I want. It just makes more sense to me without religion.

it was Christopher Hitchens who said you don't 'become' an atheist, you simply discover that you cannot believe god claims. I can't help it that I turned out atheist - it's just the way God made me.

Paul Level 5 Oct 22, 2017

Haha!

I gradually gained a sense of reality grounded in fact, science, and experience.

I gained reality.

I did not lose my faith. I don't even like that statement as nothing is lost. I gained a clearer picture of the world as I no longer see things through the religious blinders that were placed on me in childhood.

If I ever had faith, a coma discarded it, but I do understand why people say they lost faith. Having faith is irrational and they've learned to rationally see through it. Addition by subtraction.

Both I guess. I lost my faith as I started to question religion.

I think in my case, doubts always existed for as long as I can remember, so it would be more gaining a sense of reality.

The hard part of leaving religion is not giving up the belief, but giving up the sense of community and belonging. I think there are a lot of church goers who dont' really believe, but they just want a community in which they feel they can belong.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1993
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.