Agnostic.com

7 4

How many of you refer to science in socail occasions

Imagine you are out with your friends or family somewhere just having a chat. It could be about anything, racism, sexism, ghosts, hypnotism, astrology, education, or anything at all. When having a discussion how likely are you to refer to a scientific study or science in some way.

My theory is that science forces us to confront our own ideas on a constant basis. People don't mind challenging other peoples opinions, but their own, this is much harder. This is why it might not be considered good socail etiquacy. But for me, the ability to have your own ideas challenged and to then conform your beliefs to the very best evidence is what separates the rational from the irrational

Also, I think it is interesting to find out how science is perceived by society. For me, whilst science does not tell us everything, instead, it is the only thing that can tell us anything at all

All that being said, How likely are you to refer to science based evidence when having a discussion with friends or family?

RobH86 7 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Like you said, science don't tell us everything but it's the only thing that tells us anything at all. Every day I'm bringing some science studies, theories, etc. when talking to some of my coworkers or family. The irony is that some rather believe in a an"invisible man in the sky" that gives you no evidence for his story than the science that at least gives evidence of the answers it has.
Anyway I refer to science regularly. It's the main thing that made me doubt all the biblical turmoil where I was raised...

I do

Science hardly enters social conversations for me. The only time, for me, was when I challenged someone proclaiming that humans have no impact on climate change. The couple in front of us (we were at the stadium watching a football game), told us to shut up and keep science and political discussions outside of footy. Hahaha! That was a good call.

Yes, I do, and I do it frequently. It is a part of who I am and how I think. What science comes out is dependent upon the group and the general run of the conversation. By the way, how about those...?

When scientific knowledge contributes to a discussion, of course I use it.

When I am around family or friends and I get tired of listening to the nonsensical talk about movies, celebrities, sports etc, I often, just out of being snarky, will ask what someone might think about some scientific idea, eg. "Does anyone have an opinion on Quantum Entanglement and what it has to do with Einstein's 'spooky action at a distance' comment". I usually get some blank stares.

I love bringing up bio-science topics. Michio Kaku, a future scientist, writes in one of his recent books that that if you can live to 2060 that you have a good chance to live forever.

I won't make it. Oh well, that's life.

@evidentialist I won't either and I am relieved

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19970
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.