Agnostic.com

9 0

Do you accept or reject objective morality?

Lancinator 4 Oct 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It depends on your definition of morality. The definition will be subjective, but once we have agreed on the definition of morality, moral actions will be objective with regard to that definition.

I agree. Therefore you’re one that doesn’t reject objective morality.

i don't have a clue what it is. i don't even accept the idea of morality, which is something imposed from outside. there is law; that's good enough, as far as outside is concerned. i believe ethicality is more important, and that comes from within. follow the law, petition and work like hell to change bad laws and enact good ones, and be a good person. i don't care whether that's called objective morality or fred.

g

I reject it.

Dietl Level 7 Oct 13, 2018

Objective realitt should always take precedence where subject morality is involved, otherwise world wouldn't be a better place to live in

Noyi Level 6 Oct 13, 2018

I view morality as a code of values to live by and base my morality on what is good for me in the long run. Based on that, my morality is objective.

Ok cool. You’re the first accept objective morality. That’s 1 out of 5 of those that have commented so far. Most atheists reject objective morality. And I’m wondering why, we should be challenging religious people on objective morality, not just taking the lazy route and rejecting it.

All morality is necessarily subjective.

Deb57 Level 8 Oct 13, 2018

So asking someone if they think raping children is good is like the same thing as asking if they like a certain pizza topping. It’s just a matter of opinion to you?

Yes, just because my opinion on one subject may be much more vehement than another does not mean I didn't use a similar thought process to arrive at it. And your comparisons you used are rather dishonest. How is a preference for a pizza topping ever going to be based upon one's personal sense of right and wrong?

"It is morally wrong to kill a person for the enjoyment of the killer." Is that an objective morality? Or not?

Even if it is, what is the source of the morality? Did we make it up for our own convenience, or did we derive from a higher source.

You need to define what "objective morality" is.

Yes, I think a killer who kills other people just for their enjoyment is objectively immoral because they are causing harm and ending someone’s life against their will. What do you think? If it’s all just subjective, then it would just be your opinion that a serial killer is wrong. It wouldn’t be a fact that the serial killer is wrong, right?

@KenChang for our own convenience. We don’t have any evidence of a higher source that our morality came from. I’m asking this question from a stand point of atheist like myself and what their position is. Most religious people will say it’s objective because of their god which I definitely reject because it explains nothing. As an atheist I do believe morality is situational and is subjective, but I accept objective reality in the sense that we can make non subjective evaluations on things that are harmful human beings. But you have agree that you care about well being of human beings first, if you don’t start off with that, then I understand if you do infact reject objective morality.

I completely reject it.

Do you believe it’s purely subjective?

@Lancinator I believe that each case has to be taken on its own merits. If I killed a man, it'd be a very different situation if I just up and shot him than if he was attacking me.

@memorylikeasieve I agree. It’s situational morality. But my position is that we can make non subjective judgements on it. I couldn’t say that raping or chopping off someone’s head is just a matter of opinion. I’d say it’s objective when we agree and care about our species and wish for the least amount of harm.

No such thing as objective morality, circumstance should dictate action not moral certitudes.
There is no so called objective moral truth that in one circumstance or another would be considered an act of evil.
My general rule is pragmatic, if an action preserves or creates a greater good in terms of life and well being, when inactions would cause the opposite then it is fair to judge it as subjectively moral.

So if morality is just based on opinion, can we say anyone is correct? Do you treat moral actions as if it’s like a flavor of ice cream or a music group?....which are subjective. You don’t think raping children for example is objectively wrong with regards to morality?

@Lancinator

"So if morality is just based on opinion,"

Please don't put words in my mouth, it is the trick of the intellectually dishonest, the coward and the liar.

" You don’t think raping children for example is objectively wrong with regards to morality?"

Hyperbole is another tool of deceit, so is using irrelevant foul false equivalencies to child rape for the sole purposes of inciting emotional outrage. However if you are going to do it at least have the kindness and decency to be original, at least that way you may at least be amusing.

"Do you treat moral actions as if it’s like a flavor of ice cream or a music group?"

Short answer No
Long answer
Had you read my post you would know my feelings on the matter, I explained how I make moral judgement, if you had bothered to think about it you would have understood.

Try this disgusting poor rhetoric on me again and I will block you.

@LenHazell53 you said there is no such thing as objective morality. Sorry if I misrepresented you. But do you think morality is subjective no matter what?

@Lancinator
Yes absolutely,
to take your example of a child rape, if I witness such and being able to act, do not act, the outcome means my decision was morally wrong as it causes ill being, pain and damage and the blame is as much mine as the perpetrator.
If I do intervene and have to injure or kill the rapist in order to ensure the well being life and safety of the child, I believe that to be a moral act both in the short term for assisting the child and in the long term for preventing recidivism.

However should I murder someone to further my own well being and quality of life, such as for an inheritance, that is an immoral act in the eyes of society as a whole since it sets a bad precedent that should it become universally accepted would lead to the end of said society, though in my eyes for me it might well seem a good idea in the short term, morally justified by my own happiness.

Thus I come to a fairly utilitarian view that actions taken can be judged moral or immoral by their over all implications in both the long run and if applied universally.

This is also why I believe critical thinking should be taught to children at a very young age, understanding and predicting the consequence of your actions is an essential life skill.

@LenHazell53 our disagreement lies on your claim that “there’s no such thing as objective morality.” And you mention well being as a basis of morality. If you agree that our well being is important, then why are you rejecting objective morality? I don’t know....because people who don’t care about well being exist? I say they are objectively wrong, but I don’t know about you. I suppose it’s just your opinion that it’s wrong. Which is great and we agree. You just reject it in an objective sense no matter how bad it seems to you? I don't know. Just asking questions. I am an atheist. I’m not for religious objective morality.

@LenHazell53 I’m glad I got some atheist support for objective morality. But yeah most atheists disagree. Which is cool. It leads to interesting discussions.

@LenHazell53 and sorry for a late add. But I agree with situational and subjective morality. My question was whether you accept or reject objective morality. Which most atheists reject, and I wanna know why and better reasoning.

@Lancinator because well being is subjective as well, as I think I pointed out.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:199784
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.