Agnostic.com

13 2

Will someone explain sports fanaticism? I work near the stadium where this year's Superbowl is hosted. Security is getting tighter as game day approaches. So far there's been only one idiocy event, but I cannot understand the draw. Why would anyone travel from Florida to Minnesota to see a game?

AutumnAster 4 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Only guesses on my part… Sports are an ‘escape,’ and there always seems a lot to escape from.. Sports represent combat; I recently had confirmed what I’d long suspected about ‘american football’ being designed to ‘toughen and prepare college students for battle.’ There are a lot of personality disorders in which ‘figures and numbers’ give relief… my father falls into that group, following ‘sport statistics’ seems a necessity to him..

Weird regional rivalries … as you’ll see with ‘british soccer,’ actually having to erect cage barriers between ‘fans’ (Fans, being an abbreviation for ‘fanatics!’ ) I think there’s also a draw to the mob mentality, being in ‘a majority,’ and wittessing battle. Christians being fed to lions would have been a spectacle!

Personally, commercial sports make me sick.. I’ve no idea who’s the current ‘world champs’ in ..boxing, soccer, basketball, america brawl-ball or baseball … and I’d played some serious baseball.. To me, get out there! But to pay, or drive across the country ..to watch something you can’t effect..? Nuts ~

[we need a preview... having to edit out hieroglyphics created by punctuation combinations alone...]

Varn Level 8 Feb 1, 2018

Have no idea .I wouldn’ even travel to the living room

hahaha ditto!

Very good, thanks.

I'm no athlete. But I appreciate sports and play a team sports.

I like sports for the state of mind I get into when I play sports - especially team sports. It's zen like. It's similar to working out but different in that you're relying on others to achieve a goal. And that connection you have with teammates, especially when a play happens in the space of a few seconds without anyone verbally directing others, is a buzz. I'm not an NFL fan, but I can appreciate that even if a play starts of structured, it's not successful unless the quarter back has that innate connection with his blockers and his runners.

And because of that appreciation to sport, I enjoy watching my sport and like supporting my team by watching them at the stadium.

Fan support can be a factor to winning or losing. There were many times when I've noticed players get energized from the crowd, especially if they direct it themselves, and claw out a win. It's not the only factor to winning, of course, But it helps.

But I'm no fanatic. E.g. I don't understand how one group of supporters can justify brawling with another group of supporters.

My experience with team sports felt bad. Good, I got to play shortstop (‘all star’ included). ‘Not good,’ got stuck in right field, or the bench.. The pecking order bothered me, a lot, leaving some to feel subordinate to others, and hardly a ‘team spirit’...

@Varn Ahhh dang! Yeah, not "gelling" with a team sucks. I only play local competitions so it's very social. Still, when I can't find my place in a team, I usually quit or don't get invited again. Hence I run my own teams now. No one can kick me out. Hahaha!

(I went to high school in the U.S. and I was too weedy and short to be good at anything but as canon fodder in dodgeball.)

Must be a tribal thing!?

More simplistic tribalism than politics?

I have zero interest in watching sports.

It's entertainment and an escape for a few hours. It makes people feel good. It connects people who also like it. Some people live vicariously through athletes. And I'm sure there are more reasons why people like it. Why does anyone like anything? It's the idiots that ruin it for everyone.

In my opinion, it's a remnant of a primitive instinct.
The need to support your team/tribe because no one can be better.
If that makes sense.

It is totally beyond my comprehension. I have absolutely no interest in any sports. If I enjoy doing something, I want to be on the field doing it and not in the bleachers watching it. To each his on.

Sorry, can't help on this question (as if I can on any). I think Mr. Martin hit it on the head, though. But, as to how people get that fanatical? No clue.

well, as another local resident, albeit one living in St. Paul, it is starting to remind me of the RNC in 2008. I needed to go near Loring Park this afternoon, and seeing Blackhawks flying around, as well as military HumVees, etc, I cannot help but wonder, is this worth it?

As I mentioned, security is getting tighter where I work and I heard one fellow who'd been drafted, no pun intended, to work security cameras for the game was blood tested to fully prove he was who he said he was, ridiculous!

no idea, sport bores me totally,

It's there religion. It's a commitment ranked higher than their baby's christening. It's their community, their life. This bigger than their Senior Prom/

we are cut from the same cloth.

Are you saying the warp on your weave pulls to the left?

@AutumnAster something like that if left means sports are a waste of just about everything

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20029
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.