Agnostic.com

28 2

Spiritual Athiest/Atheist dating question

Hi Everybody. I'm a spiritual athiest, and have been for a few years now. I am a recovering Catholic, so I've been away from the church for a few years. I'm currently dating a fella who it may get serious with in a while. He is a life long athiest. Sometimes he kinda knocks the fact that I'm spiritual, even though my practice in yoga and reiki make me feel very centered and empowered. I was married till about 13 months ago, so this is the first I'm really wanting to date someone long term since I realized I was an atheist.

How do I ask him to be respectful of my spirituality? It's not left over from my religious days, but something I've discovered for myself.

DetroitKatie 4 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hmmm... well, I've been there, done that, and being the one that didn't believe in magic rocks and spells and such, i tried really hard to be supportive and respectful. I tried to engage in conversations with her about without being judgmental, but I think there was always a gap between us that couldn't be bridged because of the lack of commonality. I was outside. Eventually the relationship ended and that difference was cited as part of the reason, but there was a metric fuck-tonne of other problems that i lay the real reason before, so that difference that you two have may not be a terminal one. Good luck. Everyone should be with someone that makes them happy.

I have always respected others' choices about religion , just as I expect people to respect mine. Having not believed since I was 8, I am accustomed to being with believers and show respect, but not reference, to their views. This has led to deep discussions, a break up or two, and a reconversion if a Southern Babtist. If I didn't respect them, I would not have dated them.

I do not demand anyone to respect me at all, I have to earn it.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20051
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.