Agnostic.com

10 3

Groupthink, a term coined by social psychologist Irving Janis, occurs when a group makes faulty decisions because group pressures lead to a deterioration of “mental efficiency, reality testing, and moral judgment”. Groups affected by groupthink ignore alternatives and tend to take irrational actions that dehumanize other groups. A group is especially vulnerable to groupthink when its members are similar in background, when the group is insulated from outside opinions, and when there are no clear rules for decision making.
Eight symptoms of groupthink:

1. Illusion of invulnerability -Creates excessive optimism that encourages taking extreme risks.
  2. Collective rationalization - Members discount warnings and do not reconsider their assumptions.
  3. Belief in inherent morality - Members believe in the rightness of their cause and therefore ignore the ethical or moral consequences of their decisions.
  4. Stereotyped views of out-groups - Negative views of “enemy” make effective responses to conflict seem unnecessary.
  5. Direct pressure on dissenters - Members are under pressure not to express arguments against any of the group’s views.
  6. Self-censorship - Doubts and deviations from the perceived group consensus are not expressed.
  7. Illusion of unanimity - The majority view and judgments are assumed to be unanimous.
  8. Self-appointed ‘mindguards’ - Members protect the group and the leader from information that is problematic or contradictory to the group’s cohesiveness, view, and/or decisions.
    Sound familiar?
Archeus_Lore 7 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So...not a single decision can be trusted.

So...not a single decision can be trusted.

Show me a group where some of this doesn't happen, to some degree. I'll wait.

I would be impressed as hell by an organization that factors these dynamics into its scheme and builds in some counter-measures. Like devil's advocacy brainstorm sessions, encouraging dissent, fostering constructive criticism and disagreements, etc.

That's how I am. I get more out of people disagreeing with me. I hate to see those with minority opinions whine about not being able to speak freely. Makes me think the whole system is poorer for a lack of diversity in opinion.

I have witnessed groupthing from secondary school administrations. They know that solving the student discipline problems would take rules and strictly enforcing them, but do not do that because it would anger the parents. So, they either deny discipline problems exist, or they choose to enact measures that they know will not fix the problem but are socially acceptable to the parents. In other words, they choose a discipline "system" rather than a legitimate effort at a fix.

At the only job in the printing industry I was ever fired from, 'group think' played a major role in the poor morale of both day and evening shifts. 5 guys out of a 13 person crew made getting the work done a challenge every day. I started out on nights and got my night shift crew headed straight but I could do nothing with the whiny boys on day side. A new overall supervisor was hired and damn if she didn't side with the 5 whiny boys - they seemed to have all the answers (not!!). There was no breaking their group think after that and I was let go. Later the supervisor admitted it was a mistake but once a group gets up a head of steam and reinforcement from higher up it takes a serious shake up to dislodge the negative behavior. Thru their homophobic, misogynist bahavoir and abuse they got at least 3 very talented people to quit. Caused exteme anxiety for at least 1 gay man (he feared they might find out he was gay) and got me fired. Word spread thru the industry and NO one wanted to work there, they held a job fair and literally no one showed up. The company suffered and eventually moved out of state.

I read Janis's book on the topic. It was brilliant and on target. There are many historical examples, including the Kennedy administration and the Bay of Pig, Nixon and Watergate, Bush and Iraq, now Trump. Any time that any group fails to engage in serious discourse examining all alternatives, there is a danger of group think. The consequences are almost always bad.

Anyone aspiring to be involved in effective leadership of ANY organization MUST read the book!

I'm in meetings from time to time which may be subject to groupthink. I present my position clearly and defend it clearly, and advocate it twice more if it isn't picked up. Then I shut up. At the next meeting, when things broke the way I said they would, I incrementally get a little more juice.

This applies to all religions/cults, politics, and special interest groups etc. One of the downfalls of society.

Betty Level 8 Feb 1, 2018

This post showed up at a good time for me. I just watched the series on Waco last night.

I call this Artificial Harmony In general, groups provide better decisions than anyone in the group would make.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20154
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.