Agnostic.com

16 4

I work in addiction recovery services. Every morning in group they read a passage from a book that states, "nothing that happens in this life is an accident." It goes on to say that everything is a result of god's own design and plan. Every time I hear that I think to myself that, by that logic, god intends for everything to happen just the way it does, every child who is tortured, raped, and murdered, every starving person in the world, all of the unimaginable cruelties are all intentional. I'm sorry, I know that's morbid. These things show me an absence of a deity rather that the presence of one. I have no avenue to talk about these things where I am. It would be social and professional suicide. Thanks for having me.

papillon721 3 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I worked in and ran a substance abuse clinic for years. I always objected to the "morning meditation". I believe it was used by counselors who wanted to use up group time. There are much better ways to start a group. If any of my counselors thought they needed to talk about religion (and make no mistake, their brand of spirituality is religious) I would warn them that they had to include all religions, not just christianity. It is not fair to clients to push this on them. Most of them are looking for any excuse to drop out or to resist treatment. I am an atheist with 42 yrs of sobriety. I have learned to work the steps without god. People still tell me that either I can't be sober or that I will surely drink again.

I think the solution for myself , when I meet this is to a) get a little bit angry which b) makes me close down a bit and reject everything, which wakes me up and helps me to get to c) a state where I can say this works for some people here this isn't working for me - thats ok so do I leave or do I try to wipe this bit out of my consciousness and actively ignore the goddy bits and take the interesting bits that people are giving me - I rather think that any social situation has a rubbing point somewhere that touches our alarm buttons and makes me want to say :"not in my name!" But mainly I don't because it isn't that important to me and seems that bit more important to them.

I couldn't remember the name of a book that I have since, forwarded on to a friend...it was about the 'randomness in the universe'...there are all kinds of accidents...weather happens accidently!

Yes, I heard this for years...I feel exactly as you do, that isn't what a REAL god would do anyway, if there is one, which I doubt there is. And, that saying 'that God never gives you more than you can bare,' thing... is downright cruel! I can see where you are in kind of a tight spot. I was in therapy for 25 years, had many different therapists...I was not completely out of the God, as an entity thing back then, and they never shared their position on God, until they knew me well. I was wondering if you could offer up, another (maybe famous) more supportive quote! In time! At least on a person to person basis, you can support the natural nature of the person! I hope this makes sense...I support you, stay the course...you may not be at that location forever, either!

Geesh. (by which I mean, oh for fuck's sake.) Religion at work, anyone? I hope the good you do for desperate people outweighs what you have to listen to.

I had to walk out when the men started in with the touching children stuff. What is UP with that crap? I was never so affended as that one and only time I stepped into an AA arena. I get it, trust me. I could NOT do what you do, ever. People are so sick. I am a mandated reporter.

As an old goat, I can advise to just keep your thoughts to yourself about this at work. You are not being false, just wise. Even though I agree with what you say, most people need a 'higher power' to get out of a hole like addiction. And as you say, it would be professional suicide for you. I am a scientist and often have to keep my mouth shut to certain others about evolution, climate change and abortion simply because to raise these issues would destroy the relationship and communication with those I serve in public health.

I am an alcoholic (sober 8 years). Things happen sometimes because we allow them to. I let the bottle erase the day...along with my consciousness. I did it to myself. It wasn't some farcical imaginary being whispering into my ear to drink until I dropped. Push gods aside and live.

To me, it's like religious people are hypnotized or something. They say things that make no sense with a smile on their face, that if it were said about anything besides their god, they would think it was crazy.
My sister in law had breast cancer. She went through extensive treatments, and many hospital visits. They finally used enough science on her to get rid of the cancer. She was on Facebook the very next day declaring how great god was for curing her.

Man that's hard, would make my blood boil.

Welcome. That is horrifying. It also seems to go against the ACA code of ethics. I'm pretty sure if I read that at the start of group therapy I would have been fired from my internship. If they asked me to, I would have refused. Sorry you are in that situation.

"Nothing that happens in this life is an accident" is both a tenet of Buddhist PHILOSOPHY (Buddhism is NOT always associated with gods) and of quantum mechanics: All things are determined. There is NO free will.

"Everything is a result of god's own design and plan" is a different childish, foolish and horrendous religious story. Who would want such a god????

Exactly, contradicting themselves in a few words. if there was a god all powerful he is some kind of C%&T

I agree with that statement. Fortunately, I work in tech. We have less religious folks now a days thankfully

welcome

Wow, that's a tough dilema. I can definitely appreciate your frustration.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20188
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.