Agnostic.com

10 1

To personal??

What provokes you to answer an "invasive" question seriously? Or do they just provoke you?

I am in some groups in which some rather sensitive subject matter gets asked about.
I noticed some people answer with hostility at being asked.
Others join in with a playful answer (with and without seriousness)
While others seem to give a thoughtful response

dreamsinflux 7 Oct 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I feel like people are going to answer based on how comfortable they are with the question. I personally would rather have someone offer a playful non-answer rather than someone get hostile. Others use humor as a way of talking about things that are serious... they're still being "serious," but doing so in a way that they feel more comfortable with.

I think the real challenge in a format like this is getting the hostile people to move on if they don't like a question.

If you have the unmitigated gall to ask certain questions, why would you be surprised if/when someone points ouff it is none of yer beeswax, and why are you asking?

Ask me anything... You just may not like the answer! (Or how I phrase it.)

As technology becomes smaller, cheaper, and more capable, our privacy has been eroded. A recent emergency broadcast to my cellphone was followed on the Internet by warnings of the government being able to turn on the microphone, camera and GPS to learn where you are, see what you are doing, and hear what you say. Moreover, the Chinese may have put surveillance chips into some of the devices we use, including I-phones. Moreover, AI can monitor billions of such devices. Privacy as we once knew it is evaporating. Privacy in the new order is blending into the masses and being unremarkable. Being on Agnostic puts a spotlight on us. We probably have no privacy as many of us are politically progressive. The conservatives are paranoid and will watch us, IMO. With Wifi signals they can see where you are in your house, and with lasers they can listen to your conversations in your home. Security cameras can be hacked to follow our movement in a city.

I'm not a subversive or criminal, so I've decided privacy is or soon will be unattainable, even if you have a $17,000 sound proof phone booth. I suppose billionaires can have some privacy, but I'm not one and cannot afford security. So, there is no point in trying to hide anything; in fact, it would draw attention to me.

I know your comment had to do with personal questions about people, not security related. For many years I lived in fear, guarded my personal opinions closely, and didn't interact with people much. Then, I spent time in the hospital and realized I could have died. I wasn't happy being fearful. Now, I wish to get to know people, and will ask questions that may not be answered by others, but I don't ask questions I wouldn't answer if someone asks.

When I was fearful of people, I didn't learn much about them. Now, I've not many years left, I'm eager to learn, but have yet to learn the boundaries, which isn't easy since they vary from person to person. So, if this post refers to me, I hope you now realize I'm not trying to provoke. I'm truly interested, and will learn more about boundaries. As @Shelton says, "You don't have to answer."

It’s very hard for me to take offense at something said by someone. I generally just take things at face value and answer the question I’m asked. It may be a lighthearted response, a thoughtful one, even an irreverent one, but never with malice whatever the form.

Peace, ???

an "invasive" question, sounds unpleasant. i'd look for the door.

i don't trust 'aggressive' behavior anywhere, and this site is no different, there's some tools here.

"Why do you ask?" stops them cold.

@dreamsinflux

It depends on the question.

I'm usually open and honest, so I don't really mind "invasive" questions. I usually give a thoughtful response, unless I believe the questioner has an agenda.

If I think it's too invasive, I just don't answer. It depends on what I perceive as the tone of the question.

I'm just commenting cause if I'm first I get dbl points! ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:202040
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.