Agnostic.com

35 10

Silly Superstitions

What silly superstitions do you find yourself doing/following even though you know they are just silly superstitions?

I have three.
I say "knock on wood" or "wish me luck" even when I know luck has nothing to do with it.

I won't flip a calendar early. I know it won't cause anything bad to happen but I still won't do it.

Sports superstitions. If my team wins, I have to wear the same outfit the next time. I know it has nothing to do with it but I must have my "lucky" earrings on for every game.

Crimson67 8 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Don't wear the same pair of underwear 2 weeks in a row; unless you turn them inside out after a week? No, wait, that comes under hygeine.

Sage advice.

LOL

🤧 x10

I consider "knock on wood" and other such expressions to be little more than a turn of phrase for most people — roughly meaning "I'm hoping for the best" — not truly a superstition. I might follow up the statement with a quick rap, rap, rap on my head in jest, but I don't take it seriously. I can't think of any actual superstitious habits I have, though. When I was a kid, I believed in the power of prayers and religious talismans (e.g., rosaries, scapulars, and other blessed items), but I haven't held those beliefs for a long, long time.

I tend to knock on stuff when I make a hope-full statement.

I'm a rap, rap, rap on my head too person. A lot of stuff I did purposefully just to spit in the eyes of believers.

I don't know if I call it superstition because I'm unaware of any consequences purported by the Superstition police, but when I take off my shoes I want them left right and sitting flat on the floor. I find this a little strange because I'm pretty sloppy and disorganized except for that.

I just don't care anymore. I just don't do that sort of thing and would feel embarrassed if I did.

When golfing never 'talk on someone's knuckles' which means don't talk when they're lining up a shot.

Watching a hockey game and the PBP Announcer starts saying how great a player has been doing, especially the goalie. It's the kiss of death and almost guarantees him having 3 or more goals scored against him in the next minute.

Isn't the golf thing just common courtesy?

@Condor5 I suppose it is, but my dad used to say even whispering would 'jinx' him, he wanted complete silence. Then he would shoot into the woods or water. 😀

@Paul628 I used to play pool with my buddy, and we'd smoke a little ganja and drink a bit of hooch. Well, I get reeeeeal chatty under those conditions, and I could tell it drove him up a wall sometimes, but I just couldn't help myself. ????

I had to think for awhile. I don't have any.

I think luck has a lot to play in what happens in our lives. Luck is simply random event happenings that is outside our control. (IMHO)

Too many to mention...
And if you tell me more, I'll probably add them to my list... lol

Nice question 🙂 Here are mine:

I feel reluctant to open umbrellas inside.

I always have to say bless you or gesundheit after ANYONE sneezes.

I avoid picking up coins that are face-down.

Walking under a ladder. Knocking on wood. Making a wish on a falling star. Gifting a knife set with a penny taped to it. I can't think of more.

Betty Level 8 Feb 1, 2018

What's the superstition about a penny taped to a knife set? I've never heard that one.

@resserts

According to one superstition, a knife presented as a gift will sever the friendship between the giver and the recipient. The only way around this unfortunate outcome is to tape a penny to the knife. The coin must be promptly removed and returned to the giver as a form of symbolic payment.

If there is someone on a ladder holding an open can of paint, I won't walk under it.

@Coffeo

Neither will I. 🙂

@Coffeo that's just common sense and respecting safety of the beladdered.

My grandmothers both had many superstitions, my mother had some but not as many. I have none.

Take a picture of the opposing team's coach, moisten it, and stick it in the freezer. (Not me, a friend.)

That's not a superstition. That's straight-up voodoo.

I cross my fingers, I just do it without thinking!

Has getting into my car before I start the engine also something to do with superstition? I never realized that.

Gert Level 7 Feb 1, 2018

LOL

I have been the beneficiary of a fortunate coincidental concurrence of things on more than a few occasions. But, I have no lucky rituals.

Less and less as time has gone by.

My grandmother would go into a tizzy if am owl hooted three times, she thought someone was going to die. my ex sister in law, would lose her sanity if a bird was in the house, my caged parakeet included. Crazy!

I do the knock on woodand work at not spilling salt or breaking a mirror. Weird, never really thought about til ya posted it.

Dang... I don't have any...i know it's sad but I dont.

I won't put a hat on a bed. An old Russian superstition that means a death in the family. Silly, but I won't do it.

Isn't wearing the same outfit during two games smelly? (Of course, not if it's on the same day.)

Gert Level 7 Feb 1, 2018

@witchymom Really? 😀 So that means that I'm right.

I sometimes knock on my own head as a silly parody to the silly superstition of knocking on wood.

I say, "Good luck" to people ahead of many things, surgery, competition etc. I feel silly every time, I guess it may be appropriate if they are buying a lottery ticket? Wont improve their chances though.

I'm say "Knock on wood, "wish me luck" etc. but I don't feel like it's about the superstition, I know that's the origin. I also say "bless you" when people sneeze, I see it as being along the lines of please and thank you. I'm anti triskaidekaphobia, my birthday being on a 13th. I double down on thirteen.

I’m not aware if I do. I guess I wet the toothbrush prior to toothpaste application, but I don’t think any superstition is involved. Idiosyncratic? Maybe, but not superstitious. The term ‘luck’ is probably shorthand for the phrase ‘random events’, at least when I use the term. “Hey, Generic Human X, good random events today!” just doesn’t have the same ring to it as “Yo, good luck, dude”. If I told my friend the latter, I really meant the former. As far as a ritual to influence the outcome of events to be encountered in the future, unless you count smoking a blunt before everything I do as superstition, I say no. However, smoking does make things bearable. I can say that not because of the misclassification of perceived cause and effect, but because of the physical, observable, and testable attributes inherent to the physical nature of the process.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20235
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.