Agnostic.com

8 6

QUESTION A Massive Drought Could Leave Four Million People Without Water. Here's What You Need To Know.

What are your thoughts on this? Should the rest of the world be concerned? What can we do to help? Is this a man-made problem, or just nature taking its course?

NicThePoet 7 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Water will be a huge issue right here in the U.S. The whole of the west has very little water and the aquifer in the middle of the country is being sucked dry by too many straws in the ground. CA is sinking from mining ground water and the accompaning subsidence means there's no room for water to seep and replace whats been drawn out. T Boone Pickens owns more private water rights than anyone in the U.S. wonder what he'll charge for water. My favorite movie on this issue is "Chinatown"

I am most concerned, people starving and dying of thirst hurts me deeply! But, one of my dearest friends comes from South Africa (lives in Vietnam now), so I feel even more sensitive! (Ofcourse she feels my pain for trump.) The government is mostly to blame for the disaster which may make it difficult to get outside help! I don't understand how a government cannot/want, care for the people? This is a modern age, not the dark ages! I feel helpless...

People just do not want to look ahead. Watch this space, within 10 years much of the water infrastructure in capital cities in Australia will need replacing. Far greater populations now depending on them, pipes needing replacement in highly populated areas is a much bigger job than laying them before there is any construction. Doable, but at great cost and inconvenience. There is no wisdom in any of this. Great concentrations of populations may be great for cutting some costs in infrastructure but it creates other problems and inefficiencies.

Be concerned....

The solution is to get the population down to 3B and keep it there. Right now it's 7.5B +.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 1, 2018

Aside from procreating less, do you think this would be possible to achieve in a humane way?

@WickedNicki I don't know - the more people there are the more wars, the more starvation, the more global warming. But our brilliant leaders are to busy making money selling arms and promoting terrorism so they can extort money from us to do anything that matters. Religion plays a huge part in the over population too. Jesus gots to have that money on Sunday! So really what do we do? Do you think the starving people of the world should be helped or should they die off because there are too many of us already?

@jeffy The easy answer would be to let them die off. However, as someone with a conscience, I can't agree to that.

@WickedNicki Yeah, that's a tough choice. Perhaps the best solution would be to deport all the Republicans and their international oligarchy to Mars?

Less actually, Americans and Australians consume twice as much as Europeans per person. It is estimated that the planet can sustain about 2 billion people with the same lifestyle as the average European. I would like to see the population below 300 million. Through education not eradication. I always get accused of that by my peers.

I live in Arizona and Tucson is a disaster waiting to happen. There are no rivers running into that city. Everything in groundwater in the middle of a large desert. They tried bringing in water from the Colorado, a couple of hundred miles, but it was so toxic that it ate all the plumbing in the houses where it went. They are building like there is no tomorrow and one day soon, there won't be.

gearl Level 8 Feb 1, 2018

no kidding

We should all be concerned. As an hydraulic engineer in the water resource area, we knew that rainfall patterns were changing 30 years ago. The extremes were changing. We have cycles of wet and dry. On the dry end, the droughts were getting longer. If your source for drinking water is surface water runoff, then it is at greater risk. (a simple version). And in a lot of places, the groundwater aquifer is being mined. Water table is going down as out take exceeds the recharge. Back when I was young, we went fishing in some ponds that connected, and had a spring at upper end. Irrigation came in, and in a few years, the spring quit running.

Yes , the world should be concerned. We've covered this subject in a couple other posts. Various critical issues are happening all over - much right here in the US.
We're treating our water like it is an infinite source - which it most definitely is not.

If you can, read "Mirage" by Cynthia Barnett - a real eye opener !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20257
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.