Agnostic.com

24 5

Do you drive

Idk if what I have is road rage or if I just get anxious when in traffic, but slow, indecisive, low skilled drivers infuriate me. Does driving, put more accurately, do other drivers, well, drive you crazy?

NothinnXpreVails 8 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I drive for a living so suffering from road rage would be very hazardous to my health. I can genuinely say other drivers don't bother me unless my coffee gets spilled as I drive over them 🙂

NO. I have had both offensive and defensive driving trainingin service years ago, and since then I simply expect them to be dumbasses. The main hazards of driving are dumbass drivers and weather

My city has a reputation for bad drivers, so the roads here can be a chore some days, the down town area in particular. I'm very wary when I drive because my work also have me driving around the city a lot some days, and lugging a truck and trailer makes you extra perceptive. Oh sure I can be a little speedy and 'reckless' myself, but it's usually on quieter and less busy stretches when I'm the only one in the car.

The ones that piss me off the most are the serpentine drivers. The dumb asses that drive faster than everyone else, and weave through the traffic constantly only to still end up at the oncoming red light. Congrats asshole, you shaved 2 seconds off your travel time and nearly caused 3 accidents!! Of course slow ass drivers can be annoying too but I just overtake them when I have the chance.

I have have plenty of times were I nearly got rear ended by idiots trying to turn onto the road I'm one, but they're so impatient that they try to merge well before I've passed them. A school bus nearly bulldozed me because the idiot seemed to not realize I had right of way. I had to speed up and veer into the middle turning lane just so he wouldn't hit me.

Hell yes other drivers drive me crazy. The slow drivers, the indecisive drivers, the turn signal on all the time drivers, the texting or talking on cellphone drivers, the sit at a green light until it's about to turn red drivers. They all piss me off. I have a lot of patience with everything else but not when I'm on the road. I don't know, maybe that is where I can get all of my aggression out, sitting in my car screaming at other drivers that can't hear me lol

As I have gotten older, seem like I am one of a few who actually drive the speed limit. Between the race drivers driving way over the speed limit or the tailgaters, not as much fun. This is mostly in town. I do have the advantage that I don't have to drive in rush hour traffic.

I enjoy driving for the most part, but hate traffic. Slow drivers that don’t go with the flow on the roads are infuriating, I agree.

Nope, I'm lucky enough to live in a city that has great public transport...

I wouldn’t even begin to know how to live like that.

@NothinnXpreVails
Wow..that's a pretty sad comment about yourself..so you couldn't negotiate a subway system? And walking's an easy and enjoyable exercise..

I live in Texas, we don’t have any meaningful public transportation outside of large cities, and even then it is nothing like New York or Chicago. I’ve used the services in Chicago, and it isn’t something that is unnavigable, but it is different. I don’t know how sad that is, I’m sure I have experiences that you don’t. With it would come a lifestyle change. Have you spent your entire life in an older city with established public transportation? @Charlene

@NothinnXpreVails
I actually lived in Katy Texas for a minute, then moved into Houston, a not so great bus system there back then...and a village in Sweden(seriously) a non existent anything there..Atlanta has a great Train system, but the bus scheduling Suuuucks. So yeah I have lived in cities that don't have great public transit..and yes I did have a drivers license and drove a car, even here in Boston.

Sweden, that’s interesting. I’m in Houston, you know everyone drives. But yeah, moving to a place like New York would be a culture shock as far as daily life. Visiting is cool, don’t get me wrong @Charlene

@NothinnXpreVails
NYC can be daunting, especially the subway..I've lived and visit there..it seems confusing at first but after a few days it start getting easier..don't forget. People only "live" within a 10 block area of home.

That’s cool. I’ll be going to Newark in May, might skip over into NYC if it works out @Charlene

@NothinnXpreVails
Take the PATh directly into midtown get off at Grand Central (East 34th st) and wander around..and Have fun..don't forget to eat a Sabrettes hot dog from a street vendor...yummy!

Cool, I’ll try for sure! @Charlene

With my eyesight so bad, I will never be allowed to drive. Good, because I hated it.

As long as you hated it, I guess it’s ok lol

Not anymore. I miss it more than mere words can ever express.

It is the slow reaction times, the phone use, sitting at a green light so they can finish a text, Lolly gagging around so we end up having to stop at a red light, driving slower in the HOV lane than the normal lanes, ugh I’m freaking a little just sitting here thinking about it

I'm with you. No patience for stupid drivers.

No. I "price in" that people are human.

Also ... having moved to New York from the midwest a few years ago, I've experienced something new: people honking at me if I don't move quick enough or drive to their liking. I don't like that. So ... I don't do it to other people. I figure they don't like it either.

MY weakness in this regard is obstacles to getting work done. I'm a software developer, and a pause in connectivity or a slow compile cycle frustrate me. I am too nice to rage at people so I do it at inanimate objects and abstract stuff like that. But that's stressful to. So I'm retraining myself to "price in" that I'm just not going to have a trouble-free day and get as much done as I might wish.

Imagine that, things not going MY way! You'd think by age 61 I'd have figured out that's not going to happen. And that it doesn't happen for anyone. I'm not being picked on or put upon. Life is just stuff happening; it does not give a hoot about me.

That is something I have been working on very diligently. You hit a hot button. My new mantra is, "I'm not in a hurry, I'm not in a hurry, ommmm." I used to get a little bit nuts with slow, and erratic drivers. Now, however, since I'm retired, I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere; not that many places to go, anyway. People on their damn phones going 30 mph in a 45 mph zone, or 60 mph in the fast lane of the freeway make me homicidal, especially if they're in front of me.

Trust me, those drivers that "drive pressing the brakes" infuriate me all the way to Timbuktu. They are annoying and prone to cause an accident.

The one's with the brake lights perpetually on? Yes, extremely annoying. I won't stay behind them.

@Condor5 Sometimes you don't have other choice but to drive behind them.

@DUCHESSA true. But, then you just back off and keep a close eye on them, right?

@Condor5 Of you are intelligent...

I will admit I am, a hopefully recovering, agressive driver. That being said, I have been the idiot in the other car when exploring new cities (expecially if I don't have a navigator) often enough that I try to not only be more understanding but less agressive...

Hahahahahah

I'm a total gearhead and I prefer to drive cars I built over card I bought. The only thing I have ever used the horn for is to get a friends attention. Driving a car you have time, effort, blood, and sweat is a feeling that's hard to describe. It totally overpowers any road rage or any other sour feelings about driving. There is absolutely nothing you can do to improve how other people drive. You can't make them go faster, go slower, stay in their lane or anything else.
Which means you are getting infuriated over something you have absolutely no control over. I think you can figure the rest out from here.

I notice that I get claustrophobic in traffic

When I was living in the US, and had to commute a lot, I always took a book, snacks, and water with me in the car. If stuck in traffic, I cut off the motor and started reading and eating, while listening to music on the radio, so was perfectly content.

In eastern Kentucky, where I lived for 27 years, people in that area are mostly from there, and related to everyone else, so most people will wave at you on small rural roads, in case you're an unknown relative. Insulting someone is also insulting their vast clan, and they take it personally, so people err on the side of caution.

Once, I was waiting for the school buses to exit the school parking lot where I'd been substitute teaching, so I could leave the teacher's parking lot, and pulled out my book to read.
After a while I looked up, and the buses weren't in sight. There was a long line of teacher cars waiting patiently behind me, but not ONE had honked a horn or acted impatient.

A book, huh? : /

They only drive me crazy sometimes in my head. I can't change what somebody has already done and they probably won't change either. if you act on it then everything changes so I just swear to myself, not to them. I fucking hate people not indicating.

They don’t drive me crazy. I gave up a long time ago giving up much thought about how I drive. As long as I get to where I need to be. My wife said I drove like an 80YO, I guess I missed the part of drivers ed that said defensive drivers cause accidents. But those are the Cliff notes she gave me. Along with driving with your knees eating ice cream out of a bowl seemed to her to be Ok!

I do not enjoy driving in Metropolitan NY . What drives me crazy are drivers that over use their horn ,and drivers that refuse to let you merge into traffic . What infuriates me the most are people that double park their cars and trap you in a parking space .When I leave the area or rent a car on vacation like I did in Hawaii it can be enjoyable to drive .

I love the slow pace of driving in Hawaii.

I am a super laid back driver, not any more, but much of my life I drove a lot, like 50,000 miles (for our American friends) or 80,000 klms a year, traffic, bad roads, roadworks, accidents, you just accept it.
What I do not accept is road rage and I see so much of it. That may be about the only thing that could easily send me into road rage. Then I would have to punch myself in the face.

I understand and use SI, not all Americans are, well, American... lol

No, other drivers don't drive me crazy. Only I can drive me crazy. And I don't. Other drivers have the same rights to the road that I do.

Life's to short to get up set with other drivers , we aren't all perfectionists getting from one point to another . One thing that does upset me is people texting and driving .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20265
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.