Agnostic.com

9 1

Migrant Caravan...

Should the United States be doing more to stabilize and develop the economies and civic governance of Central America?
Why or why not?

• 11 votes
  • 2 votes
MrLink 8 Oct 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

why not, exactly

lerlo Level 8 Oct 29, 2018

its a complicated problem.. i wish we had and could all agree on a solution.. cause i think its gonna get worse before it gets better.

I think the Chinese know the solution... invest there.

we've done enough damage; a lot of what's going on in central america is the longterm result of our interference. since we're no good at cleaning things up and fabulously talented at screwing them up, we should stay out of it, BUT we should recognize that the asylum-seekers are in serious danger and need our help, not our fear or scorn.

g

The only country the USA should help right now with TAXPAYER money is the USA.
Environmental cleanups, water supplies, Veteran benefits/health-care/insurance/pensions, road, bridges, schools, infrastructure, housing....etc.

Clean up your own mess before you try (and generally fail) to clean up the mess in other countries.
It's time the USA took care of its own problems.

If we act to stabilize the economies and improve living conditions in Central America (and particularly Nicaragua and el Salvador), are we not ultimately serving to take care of some of our own problems in North America?

@MrLink No. Not the ones I listed.

You should have been in Afghanistan in 2007 when I watched the Army Corps of Engineers spent $1.2 Million taxpayer dollars to build a water treatment plant for the Afghani people that was then bombed and flattened within 10 months.

Now think about Flint, MI and say to yourself, "the US Army seriously needs to invade the USA".

We will never thrive until we start with ourselves.

@SkotlandSkye i am 100% behind infrastructure spending here in the 50 states. And i am not for spending trillions to send an army half way around the world of we aren't willing to also invest in the Americas.

I would agree with you, if the usa had kept to that policy 50 years ago.. but now you need to find a way to help clean up the mess.. just sayin..

If we do not invest more into improving our societies in the Americas we are fast heading for "Road Warrior" territory. Those who have seen the movie series will know what I'm talking about unless you happen to be in with the Kock brothers bunch that caused out current imbalance of power.

There are no doubt policies the US is neglecting in Central America, but we cannot allow ourselves to become an economic overflow zone for a near constant outflow of economic refugees, no matter what our current policies.

Varn Level 8 Oct 20, 2018

So it sounds like your answer would be yes, we should do more to stable the situation in Central America, if it helps turn off the faucet of refugees?

@MrLink Border security, employer sanctions (for hiring illegal immigrants), reduced legal immigration ... along with respectful relations and stable trade policies with viable Central American (including Mexico) governments working to better the conditions of their citizens.

It is certainly better than destabilizing them!

It is in their interest and in your interest to do so. I too am British but it only makes good sense to me for you in US do this if you wish to prevent a human desire to want to migrate to where they will have a better chance of economic success.

Also if we don't do it, it seems China might be willing to invest there, and then they will start to increase influence, rather than us.

@MrLink Yes...that is another reason to invest.

I am British but I believe it is everyone's interest to support nations that are struggling. However this needs to be done very carefully as the west tends to mess things up a lot.

True... A right way and a wrong way.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:204911
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.