Agnostic.com

23 4

I get this all the time. Where do you find your morality if you don’t believe in god?

MatthewX 4 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Had a conversation with a Christian that I work with about general morality. When I finally told her I was an atheist it seems I genuinely rocked her world. She said to me essentially that she could not believe that I am such a good person without God. She came up to me later to tell me that I truly made her re-evaluate some of her beliefs about faith. So she learned that morality is separate from a belief in God, and I learned that if you talk to people honestly without confrontation that you can bring new understanding.

I also believe that being non-judgmental, not being too critical, and having respect for the other person's point of view generally works better to help the other person understand your own views. There may be times when confrontation might be unavoidable or even appropriate, but a tolerant, rational attitude is preferable when possible.

Knowing right from wrong really isn't that hard. Unless you're a sociopath, or some other kind psychotic.

over 90 % of convicted criminals hold so called religious beliefs, nuff said

Most of them find god in jail, and get out early due to their new Jesus fetish.

Morality predates any gods. Secular Humanism offers the best explanation to me. Although Lord of the Flies suggests that purely social contracts are short lived where survival and ambition are present, I believe long term morality is a key tenet of civilization and a deity is not necessary to establish a suitable moral code.

I LOVE getting this question. It's soooo easy to bury them with examples of horrific "morality" in the bible - from slavery to a "compassionate" god who sends his own creations to a fiery eternal hell. The conversation usually ends up with their heads about to explode lololol...

I also love getting that question. I usually clarify their assertion that morality is defined as actions that (according to their bible) please their god. Then I start with slavery then move into Jephthah's killing and burning his daughter as a moral act because their Yahweh enjoys the smell of burning flesh. I am then free to differentiate my value of morality (that which causes the smallest amount of harm) versus their definition of morality. The list goes on and it is usually just a lot of fun.

in religious doctrine morality is a set of rules, a list of do's and don't's. Free Morality (l made that up) is a set of behaviors, or perhaps a mindset.

Free Morality -- yes. Morality based on rational thought, combined with concern for what is good, with compassion, with concern for individuals, society, and the world, as opposed to following a set of rules, set forth by an authority, motivated by fear of punishment and prospects of reward.

Well, it is pretty obvious that the Golden Rule, recognized across many eons & cultures in one form or another, is a pretty good idea unless you want to live in a cave......

Tons of stuff on “#morality” around here… I’m afraid I’d begin boring folks going into that again ..though a worthwhile question ~

Varn Level 8 Feb 2, 2018

Compassion is the word. When I think of doing something that I know the other will not like because I would not like it in his/her place I won't do it. If I would, I would feel bad.
I guess that is morality. Being able to know wrong from right. I guess "the apple" was between the fruit that I once purchased.

Gert Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

Morality is a social concept that started when people came together to form communities. Accepted rules of conduct had to be established for security and peaceful survival. Morals were a well-accepted norm long before deities were created and religion took over the teachings.

Betty Level 8 Feb 3, 2018

I like to bring up slavery. If the person asking the question thinks slavery is immoral, I can point out immediately they don't get their morality from god either.

Slavery was not merely condoned by the Bible, but positively sanctioned. The rules of slave ownership were provided in significant detail.

"How do you know slavery is immoral when God so plainly disagrees?"

Dawkins on atheism and morality

Your right is your right, and your wrong is your wrong. Belief in one god brings charitable actions less often than it brings strife and hate. What is really important is that you find your own ethical center and stand by it until new information proves you wrong.

Go back and read the posts on this topic. It has been repeated multiple times.

I found mine in a box of cracker jacks

I have never been asked that question. I have gotten the what happens when you die a lot and the occasional what happened to make you angry at god stuff but never anything about morality.

That’s crazy I figured you being from the south like me must have experienced that. Lol 90% of the time someone finds out I’m atheist they ask me where do I get my morals and that it’s impossible to be good without god.

@MatthewX It could be simply that they have no idea what a humanist is and think it is just some alternate religion LOL I have found that most uneducated people will pretend to know what you are saying rather than admit they're clueless

I am fed up with their hogwash.
I've started saying 'From your dead gawds Ass"

By coming off of autopilot and recognizing what it means to be a good person. Service, kindness, compassion, critical thinking, selflessness.

Many times during discussions with Christians, when I mention that I don’t believe in Hell, they react with something like: “If there’s no Hell, then what keeps you from doing bad things”. Have some of these folks replaced the built-in moral mechanisms with an externally imposed consequences based “what’s in it for me” ethics system? They seem puzzled by this and yet they reserve for themselves a get-out-of-jail-free card, the deathbed conversion and repentance. Religion can be incapacitating.

Why do they ask?

I think they (many Christians)think their way is THE way, and the ONLY way, and they think we are all sinners; therefore, they feel we all need to be kept under the control of strict sets of rules handed down by an authority.,

yes your right, maybe we should knock on their doors on a Sunday asking them to not believe

And as for me I like the veil of ignorance as a source for morality although you really don’t have to think too hard to tell if something is moral or not.

Sorry for the common post but is there a way to search for post? I see it hashtags things do I just click the hashtags?

Just from my own limited understanding.

the question is , where do so called Christians get their morality from?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20499
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.