Agnostic.com

4 1

Maybe somebody can help me out. On AFV I often see newly wed couples, during the after party, cutting the cake, love to smear the cake in each-others faces. Can somebody explain why it is so funny to ruin a dress of thousands of dollars, and a beautiful suite. Are weddings so boring that they need this kind of fun? I know I'm a little boring too, so I should understand, but I don't. Help me to learn a little more of the American culture, please.

Gert 7 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I dunno. I always thought it was nasty and passive-aggressive. I found this:
From Business Insider--
Not everybody is into the idea of smearing frosting all over their partner's face, but its silly nature has kept this tradition going! Turns out that messy food traditions have ben in place for years.

For example, in Yorkshire, the bride would eat a small piece of bride's cake (which was more of a pastry than the cakes we think of today). Then, she'd throw the rest of the cake over the head to ensure a life of wanting nothing (and to ensure a huge mess to clean up). In even older times, the groom would break bread over the bride's head and guests would pick up the crumbs.

It's not totally clear how we got from picking up crumbs and throwing cake to smearing frosting across someone's face, but one thing's for sure - brides and grooms have always played with their food!

My daughter got married recently, and when it came time to cut the cake, I was thinking to myself, "Jeez, I hope they don't do that stupid face smearing thing." Well, they didn't. I was so proud.

Such an origin makes sense to me. Didn't know. Thanks.

Gert, here's my take, bear with me, I'll tell you a little story: One time during a trip to Maui, my (now ex) wife and I were on a sightseeing tour circumnavigating the island. At many points, the road is quite narrow and there are turnouts to let cars pass, and sometimes view remarkable natural phenomena. We stopped at one such turnout and I noted several piles of delicately and seemingly precisely stacked rocks. Thinking perhaps there was some deep religious or perhaps native significance to these small tributes, I asked the driver about them; he quite matter-of-factly stated that it was likely a case of "monkey see, monkey do." I think it's pretty much the same with the wedding cake face smearing. Seems, if not plain stupid, at a minimum repugnant, to me. I have no idea where or why it originally started, and the only explanation I can come up with is that it flies in the face of convention in an otherwise ultra-conventional setting.

So, a kind of a "copy/past". That's how people learn, even the weirdest things.

@Gert yep, that's exactly how many weird "traditions" get perpetuated.

@Condor5 Yea, that's very true.

Please do not think this is part of our mainstream culture. But we as USAs do have a history of destroying established routines. Perhaps it says that under all of this pomp & regalia, we are at heart, rebels. We give Mom & Dad their lovely wedding & then trash it out of contempt for decorum. Jumping in the swimming pool or lake with the tuxedo & dress is another form of rebellion. This is my own opinion, but you might ask someone who has done this. I have not.

So, relling rebels. Love the idea. Maybe they need some other focus. Good idea for the training of fiance's.

Nope...I never understood that custom, and I would have been furious if it had happened to me.

marga Level 7 Feb 2, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20518
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.