Agnostic.com

24 0

Should I go Vegan?

I eat meat pretty much every day, and love bacon and a burger and a suasage and chicken and so on. I also have ulcerative colitis (bowel disease), for which there is no cure. I have found in the past that my condition is more managable when I leave veg out of my diet, however, that raises other health concerns. Just recently curiosity has got the better of me. I have spent a little time looking in to this subject and I must admit that I have no defence for eating meat, and everything that I have learned suggests going meat free (and dairy free) is the more moral thing to do. I want to give it a go and see how I get on. Do you think I should go all in straight away, or make small changes to my diet with 'fully vegan' as the end goal. Your thoughts please.

If you think the vegan diet is nonsence, also please comment and say why. Thanks

RobH86 7 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've been a vegetarian for about 15 years, and that's been pretty easy. I periodically adopt a really strict whole, raw, plant-based diet, for a few months at a time. It's difficult to maintain, though, largely because eating so many apples, oranges, and bananas day after day gets to be really tedious (and it's rather expensive to get more variety in my diet). Still, I feel so much better overall when I eat this way: more alert, higher energy, fewer aches and pains, better sleep, etc. So, I'm a proponent of a plant-based diet in general. I don't know specifically how difficult it is to change your diet when you have ulcerative colitis, though.

Because of your medical condition, I recommend being cautious and getting the help of a physician or a dietitian (not a nutritionist — anyone can call themselves a nutritionist without any credentials) to transition to a vegan diet. I don't think jumping in with both feet is going to be wise, because I'm concerned it could exacerbate your UC. I searched online and found some resources for people with UC who want to adopt a plant-based diet. (I found one testimonial that claims a whole-foods, plant-based diet put her UC into remission, but I'm skeptical of such anecdotes.)

Here's one site that seems to be practical about requirements, foods to avoid or limit, etc.:

[onegreenplanet.org]

Good luck to you. And, please, let us know how it goes if you do make the transition. I'd be interested to know whether you see any difference in your UC symptoms and what challenges you encounter along the way.

Its really difficult to know what causes my flare ups, I just know that I get them. I shall give up meat for a while, and see how I get on with it

I'm vegetarian and have been for over 30years. I've tried being vegan and the food can be very good. It requires a lot more effort and eating out can be difficult though that's much easier now than it used to be. Lots of people claim health benefits like increased vitality
I think there's some good arguments morally and environmentally for veganism but those are for you to decide.
Why not try it for a month and see how you get on with it. It's unlikely to do you any harm

If you have a duly diagnosed medical condition which is exacerbated by eating vegetables, it makes no sense to go vegan. What good is "morality" if it puts your health at risk? You won't be able to enjoy your moral superiority if you're suffering from your illness.

^This! says the vegetarian

I think few actually suffer from 'vegetables'. They may have some discomfort from some foodstuffs (today I learned the foods in the nightshade family can be problematic for some). There is more out there than just vegetables, fruits, grains and other foodstuffs.

I am O+ which is supposed to be suited for eating meat. I have some mild stomach problems and a naturalistic neighbor (who has a clinic) keeps telling me to eat meat. I will eat some fish (we have wild Salmon available). I am sorry but what I know, my physical health might improve (which I doubt) but my emotional health would suffer. To 'me', some things are worth making the sacrifice.

@JackPedigo You are entitled to make your own decisions. The original poster asked what we thought. I was going by the information they provided, and if they seem to have a problem with vegetables aggravating their condition, I'm not going to argue with them, or tell them they are wrong. If you don't have a problem with how you're choosing to live your life, good for you. I was simply expressing my own thoughts on the matter, because that is what was asked.

@KKGator I read the question and it was asking what we thought. Also "what I have learned suggests going meat free (and dairy free) is the more moral thing to do."
It's called giving support. This question keeps coming up and the reaction, by some, is always the same. I am never disappointed.

When I would go out with a group and order a vegetarian meal often the meat eaters would start right away defending their position and asking questions like "how can you survive without protein?" I don''t have to say a word, just order and it starts.

All I have to do is explain my position and the defensive wall comes up. It's almost like talking to the religious about their beliefs.

A funny thing we (my partner and I) is that when we are asked to organize a meal and include vegetarian items the vegetarian items always go first. We would have to announce that the vegetarians come first so they, at least, get something to eat.

This is similar to what I am thinking. If vegetables exacerbate your condition, what the heck will sustain you -- grains, nuts, soy and ? Can you eat fruit -- or is it the same as vegetables?

That said, I don't have an opinion about what you should do. I think, at the end of the day, you have to live with the consequences of your choices -- I don't.

@JackPedigo Well, if I was at a meal with you, I would ask what you were having because I ask EVERYBODY what they are having. But, I would not care, nor give you the attention you would be expecting.

My niece came from the holidays and she is newly vegan. I had forgotten, so we had to go to the store and get some of her special foods, but I didn't make a fuss over it.

You know the joke about vegans and vegetarians loving to talk about their choices and diets (thankfully, my niece doesn't) but much like I'm not "star struck" about celebrities, I would not give anybody extra attention or questions about their vegan and vegetarian ways of life.

@BlueWave You are in the minority. My partner and I both became vegetarian before we met. When we met we exchanged notes on this and they were the same. Every time we went out, again up came the defenses. The fact I simply gave my opinion and then got hit with criticisms shows what I mean.

We non-religious can't understand why so many of the religious fail to practical critical thinking but when it comes to food choices many of us are like they. Sometimes, I feel, it's as if I were in a church. The church of the 'flying spaghetti monster' but for others it is the church of 'the flying spaghetti with meatballs monster'. I like to add a little levity now and then.

My stepfather was a committed carnivore. Never ate a salad--called it rabbit food. Rarely ate a vegetable. He was lean and strong and never had a health problem until he was 87, when he had a stroke. The doctor told him that he had to stop smoking and that he was pre-diabetic. He stopped smoking cold-turkey. I told him there was no need to give up sweets. His BP was perfect and he took zero meds. He died a year later from the lung cancer that should have killed him decades sooner. My point? Every body is different.

Yup!! He lived a long time smoking.

There's no rational argument to be made that a properly managed Vegan diet isn't "better" for you in the vast majority of cases than a typical American diet.

Vegetarianism is also much better for you, and easier to manage.

It kind of comes down to these questions

1. Do you believe animals suffer in the farming industry.
  2. Is suffering while alive less moral than not being born in the first place.
  3. Do you want to give up delicious delicious meat.
  4. Can you commit to following a difficult diet,
  5. Are you alright dealing with certain presumptuous snobs.
  6. Are you alright with people judging you for being Vegan, and assuming you're doing it for reasons other than health.
  7. Are you sure you're okay with giving up delicious delicious meat?

I have never understood the moral argument for veganism.

skado Level 9 Feb 2, 2018

I don't have the time to go into it fully but it's to do with the taking of life. its about not pumping animals full of growth hormones, anti biotics and other drugs, it's to do with using too much of the earths resources to produce food that we don't really need.
For me its not a black and white argument but the case for not eating meat or dairy for ethical and environmental reasons is a pretty strong one 🙂

@JimmyM Thanks. I've heard those, but they just don't make sense to me. The taking life thing looks impossible to me. Vegetables are life too. The rest of those sound more like a reason not to support industrial agriculture than a reason to stop eating meat. Honestly, it just sounds like misplaced sentiment to me.

I understand it. But, I don't want to change in accordance with my understanding.

@Fanburger that's simply not correct
@skado sorry I was getting ready for work and didn't have timefor a fuller reply. Firstly I'm not a vegan so perhaps not the best person to explain its moral arguments however.... 🙂
As I tried to explain, I don't see it as an all or nothing e.g. most of us would say it's wrong to kill. Then we might think about it some more and come up with some situations where killing might be more acceptable such as self defence or a mercy killing or... And we probably wouldn't all agree on which killings were more acceptable and under which circumstances. Some people might say killing under any circumstance is wrong. Others might say you could attack a whole country to get to the bad guy and that's self defence 😉
So you kind of make your own mind up about where you're going to stand on the morality.
For me industrial agriculture is deeply morally wrong. If it were just about producing enough food for everyone that would be one thing but people in our countries go hungry and much food is thrown away. So to use those methods to produce food for profit and then to dispose of that food if people can't afford to buy it. Well I think there is some seriously immoral behaviour going on right there

vegetables arent sentient life and are easily reproduced making lots of seeds and they grow quickly it has been pointed out many times by scientists that insects are easy to harvest we coul dfeed the world if we used insects that are prolific

What is the concern? Worry that you’re causing pain? @jacpod

I wouldn't, especially since you've found your condition to be more manageable when you consume fewer veggies.

You might find this testimony of interest: [forksoverknives.com] I've been vegan for about 16 years and it's been wonderful. I eat mostly raw. Before that I was vegetarian for 16 years. Once I learned about the cruelty on dairy farms (arguably far worse than beef farms), I realized it was kinder to be vegan. There are so many meat and dairy substitutes today, it makes it really easy to be vegan. My favorite science-based site for vegan information about health is Nutrition Facts; here's what they have to say about U.C. [nutritionfacts.org]

It's up to you I guess. I just think humans as a whole are the problem ie way too many demanding way too much wild habitat.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Is there a morality issue with deer partaking in eating carrion? Then it's not for you.
You could cut down on your meat intake, but i really don't think it's natural for humans to go completely meatless.
Do what works best for your body. Ulcerative colitis is no joke. I've a dear friend who's still struggling with having lost 2/3 of their bowel.

Human beings are omnivores. There are enzymes and proteins only found in red meat. Trying to find them in other non-flesh food sources is futile. Eliminate soy. Period. Man-boobs are the result.

A formal rancher, Howard Lyman, had health problems and ended up in the hospital. During his stay he looked into vegetarianism and decided to try it. Many of his problems subsided. Later he went vegan and has since been a big advocate of this lifestyle "Mad Cowboy".

I did this but took a long time. It is best to substitute different foods for the meat but it takes time to learn what is available. I discovered several things: There was a big increase in energy and there are a lot more foods out there than one can imagine. One closes some doors on meats but opens up even more on other items. Going cold tofurkey is difficult.

Yes you should go whole food plant based. It is healthy as fuck and more ethically consistent with our beliefs.

If eating some vegetables disagrees with your medical condition, I would try as many as possible to pin point which ones seem to be more beneficial. Morally, environmentally, and health-wise (if done correctly), my opinion is that veganism is the way to go. I would personally go all in...but that's my style, and I'm a scientist, so I would research the heck out of it, prod it from every angle, until I've beat a dead horse real dead 20 times. Read research papers (there are quite a few about the human microbiome and different diets), books, join forums, purchase the appliances (juicer, vitamix, etc.) and gather several recipes that sound easy and appetizing.

I was a vegan for several years, including throughout one pregnancy. I'm now getting back into it. If for nothing else, I feel like being vegan is an easy way to decrease my direct and indirect impact on the environment and climate change, as small and seemingly negligible as that may me.

go slowly to allow your body and mind to adapt. cut out the bacon and processed meats first. Eat as close to the state it is found in nature. I usually eat mostly a vegetarian diet. I do have eggs fairly often, and fish sometimes. Rarely ever pork products and I avoid all highly processed foods. You might also consult a dietitian.

No

Sacha Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

No..

I find myself liking you more and more with every post. lol

@KKGator
What's not to like?..you're pretty awesome yourself..love the dry humor btw..lol

I was raised carnivorous. I can't go against my nature. I am healthy beyond the norm. Don't get sick. Take no vaccines. Not worried about what goes on my body. Use no medications. In the other side of the expectrum I had refused ever receive any transplant. I just eat what I like to eat. That's my final answer.

Proper diets are highly problematic because it is very much dependent upon the individual -- and I don't mean food preferences. It has been discovered that there are genetic and microbiome components that determine how the body reacts to various food types. I'll try to find the video on this subject and post it with this comment when I locate it.

Okay, I found it. This is important new information that everyone should be aware of when considering anything about their diet such as you are. You should also discuss this with your doctor before you do anything.

Do what it takes to stay healthy...but there is nothing better than dead animal flesh...in my opinion.

LOL

@BobMcDowell -- I prefer my steaks medium rare.

I am a salad dodger extreme. It hasn't damaged my health, so far.

I have been vegetarian for last 10 years since my cancer diagnose. I have been farting so much ever since that my personal life is out of existance.

You need someone that can counter the sound and smell of your farts with the wit and wisdom of your words. And may I add, use the beauty of your face to forget about everything else

I have a friend who lost her large intestine and now has a colostomy bag due to UC. It's not the end of the world, but it is a permanent change. Manage your disease first.

good advice. only managed to last 8 days anyway. I am going to try and take a longer slower approach and give meat up slowly

Yes you can call yourself vegetarian and cheat whatever the situation call for. I hate strict socially rude vegetarians or vegans It won't kill you if you eat meat once in a while.

First, I am not vegan and not, at my age, likely to change: I'm too set in my ways. But there are some good reasons for going vegan, and ultimately humans will have to reduce their dependence on meat-eating. But if you're going vegan, you must be very careful to maintain a good balance. There is an excellent article about this in a recent issue of New Scientist (January 27), but I'm not sure if it's available online to non-subscribers. And if you are going vegan, don't try to force it on your carnivorous pets, especially cats.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20519
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.