Agnostic.com

4 0

What does it mean to be fearfully made?

I just saw someone state this in a profile and it reminded me that this was even something that was said. What do you think it means to be "fearfully made by my creator?"

Millzy 5 Oct 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"wonderfully and fearfully made" is Elizabethan English for "awesomely". It reflects that people generally feared what they didn't understand. It comes from one of the Psalms. I don't think it's legitimate to see it as an incitement to terror, it is more nuanced and metaphorical than that, even to a fundamentalist / literalist interpreter.

A throw back to pre-enlightenment Christianity when the Xtain god was not seen as a loving god but a being to be held in terrified awe.

Maybe realizing a mistake in assembly or programming,knowing of failure? Another anology; Someone putting together a highly explosive device?

it means that the person making the claim 1. believes in a personal god, 2. considers that god to have created humankind, 3. fears that god and 4. probably has some delusional relationship going on with some purveyor of one interpretation of christianity, possibly a televangelist or local charismatic. perhaps this person is one of those i've met who think that the beach boys have signed a contract with the devil, and yes, that would be a literal contract signed on paper, possibly in blood, with a humanoid devil. who knows? you could ask the person whose profile you saw. you might get an amusing answer. you could share it here!

g

I agree with you 100%. Preachers used to use that term we are "fearfully made."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:205199
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.