Agnostic.com

13 2

What was the final straw that made you finally leave your faith?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was about seventeen, in the summer break between junior and senior year. I had been watching some atheistic youtubers, and was agreeing with most of what they said, because it either made sense logically or disgusted me to see the religous speech they pointed out that churches said(Abortion is murder, gays shouldn't marry), but hadn't yet taken the final step. Well, finally, one of them recommended the God Delusion on audio book, and the consciousness raising that happened was all I needed to cross over.

Radon Level 2 Oct 24, 2018

Oddly enough, my faith in God prompted me to leave me religion. I realized that if God had the good qualities I was taught he had, he could still save me even if I stopped going to church. It was later that I lost my faith in God when things just weren't panning out like I expected. I finally was able to think about it and realize that the God I'd been taught about couldn't possibly exist. There were too many contradictions.

Several factors, when I was asked to leave the church because I wore blue jeans. When a friend went to her priest for guidance to turn her life around. The priest bedded her and they were both killed in an auto accident, he was pissed to the gills. And on and on.

Literalism, folks that think if you live on the level they need to veil killing you, folks that say their such helpful good theists, but claim defending civil rights isn't part of church jurisdiction due to seperation of church and state, saying friends can, well if they're such good hearted friends why aren't they helping as friends? I see UU, Scientologists, the NAACP and others don't have any trouble feeling motivated to help others about civil rights issues. Theists, probably get some kind words from a recommended lawyer who ends up not really doing anything or a recommendation to see a mad psychiatrist to veil poisoning for some crazy reason.

When I became an existentialist. When I reached the conclusion that we don't have souls and that there is no form of afterlife whatsoever. No paradise, no hell, no reincarnation, no nothing.

Prayed, nothing happened, moved on

Finding out the whitewashed history was a lie. (Mormonism)

Its homophobia. I got so sick of people saying hetero sex was 'how god intended it.'. ?

I didn't have a faith to leave.

I chose not to join as I didn't believe the fairy stories we were told at school.

It was a matter of too much hypocrisy and not understanding why god "blessed" people that were worse people than the ones going to hell. Then I had to start asking if I was god would I allow that or make that decision and I came to the conclusion that the god of the bible was both an idiot and an asshole.

The time I went to church and they passed the offering plate around three times. “This isn't about faith it is about panhandling”

No discrete "aha" moment. But overall it was the utter failure of religious faith to accurately explain or predict experienced reality. In fact it was generally 180 degrees wrong.

i never left my faith. i didn't have a faith, to speak of. judaism is not actually faith-based, not the way christianity is. it wasn't judaism that was the problem. i didn't even actually HAVE a problem. i just realized there were not gods, that's all. it wasn't the result of a trauma, or a deep-seated dissatisfaction, or anything like that. i wasn't raised religiously; we went to shul for weddings and bar/bat mitzvahs. i didn't know enough about it to be disillusioned or turned off or anything. in fact i'm still not turned off by it. i just don't happen to believe there are any gods, and i'd even go so far as to say i believe there are no gods.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:205441
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.