Agnostic.com

9 1

Is it ok to confront public figures in public places if you disagree with them?

While I understand the frustration that comes with trying to navigate today's polarizing issues, I am on the fence about confrontation in public. What do you think?
I have included a TMZ YouTube posting as an example of McConnell being confronted in a restaurant.

patchoullijulie 8 Oct 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

At their office or at work yes but it is setting an ugly precedent to accost them in public restaurants. We do not wish to scare good people from seeking office for fear their position on matters would make them a target in public.

Hmmm...food for thought. I hadn't looked at it from that angle.

Good point

There are good people with whom I disagree. I will not confront each and everyone who disagrees with me. That's not only rude, but stupid.

For example, I would not agree that every Republican politicians be treated this way.

But, there are some truly horrible people who make no effort to justify their hypocrisy and doublespeak. Condoning that as "business as usual" is normalizing corruption and kleptocracy. Mitch is a good example.

@KenChang True

It needs to be done more. Until it stops being news and people stop feeling sorry for them. They made their little right-wing beds, now they can lie in them.

They are public figures for a reason. With power comes responsibility, and fascism doesn't keep business hours.

I am a lawyer by trade and if I see one of my clients being arrested during my off hours, I am not going to simply say "call me in the office tomorrow morning." That's because I have a higher duty than simple privacy.

Mitch has that higher duty, and he screwed it again and again. I say confront the malfeasance whenever you can, and misfeasance during the business hours.

As a lawyer, that's your advice?

@IamNobody
No. That's my advice as a citizen.
My advice as a lawyer is a bit more expensive.

@KenChang Even as a citizen or free advice, we have laws for a reason. The answer is to vote or to file a complain where it's due.

@IamNobody
Yes. I totally respect your disagreement with my perspective as a citizen, as I disagree with yours.

But "we have laws for a reason" isn't a very compelling argument. Yes, we have laws for a reason, but sometimes they are bad reasons. Remember it was legal to disenfranchise women and minorities in this country not too long ago? Please do not conflate your moral duties with legality.

@KenChang I am not the lawyer, that's for sure and yet I know it's not OK to antagonize other citizens in a place like a restaurant. Also know/understand it's not OK to even suggest violence or tactics like that to anyone else. You do what you think is correct, I will do what I think is correct.

@IamNobody Of course we will. But we share our different perspectives in places like this, and it is good to challenge our own perspective.

And note that our disagreements were aired with politeness and respect. That's because you are fundamentally a good person. But alas, not everyone is fundamentally good....

@KenChang We all should be good and encourage everyone as well. In principle I would like to think we all are good.

@IamNobody
🙂 I agree with Susan Sontag when she said, "10 percent of any population is cruel, no matter what, and 10 percent is merciful, no matter what, and the remaining 80 percent can be moved in either direction."

@KenChang Normal standard distribution

@IamNobody

Yes. The point is then in principle not everyone is good. 🙂 There are "bad" that cannot be reasoned with, not subject to negotiations, and must be confronted.

There are reasonable disagreements as to what constitutes that level of "bad." But I believe the right-wing has entered that realm, and then they complain that it should be "business as usual." I just don't buy it.

@KenChang I hear you. All I can say is that even if I don't agree with a particular politician (from any side of the spectrum), I wouldn't consider confronting them in public. If this becomes the new norm then what will be next when confronting them is not enough? Beat them to death? Gun them down? I like to think we are better than that.

Working hours with decency and respect it should be fine. At their personal time in public places like a restaurant, no that's not cool.

I think that if you feel you have something to say, you should approach respectfully and ask if you may talk. Harassing anyone publicly and loudly just fuels the fire. Go high.

I don't consider a restaurant as a "public" place. If someone confronted me in a restaurant, I would first ask them to stop and if they wouldn't, I would go to the restaurant management and ask the management to stop them. If they refused, I would find another restaurant to frequent.

Given that he is ignoring about 50% of the population of the country while he sits in ivory tower, I find it refreshing that he is getting to ”meet” the other half when he goes out among them. I’m sure he can afford private or expensive restaurants where he would only be among his millionaire supporters. Let him go there.

You know, I did wonder why he thought it would be a good idea to go to a public restaurant.

@patchoullijulie Photo op of people picking on him so they can make a news item out of it and make the kind hearted Democrats feel sorry of them. Like going to a Mexican Restaurant after you just publicly supported separating immigrant children from their parents.

@Barnie2years Yes, agree. He looks quite calm not agitated or annoyed at all.

I think we need to model the decency we want and believe in. When they go low and we go lower only turns us into what we are fighting. We become the same as they.

In a practical sense, disrupting their dinners, etc. will not change their policies.

Normally I would agree but not with the way things are now. As Bill Maher has often said ...'you can't take a knife to a gun fight". I kind of agree. Having said that, I am not a proponent for violence but there has to come a time when you have to stand up for what you believe is right and that might entail confrontation or sadly, when all other means have been exhausted, violence.

@ashley44 I agree. Always go high.........at first. When all else fails, then reassessment should be an option. Hopefully going high will get us to the point of some rationality....sooner rather than later, before too much damage has been done.

They should have to face their constituents and answer for their decisions.

Yes, I agree and it seems that these days that confrontation in public, is really the only power that we have left. My thoughts though, go to the scenario where a repulsican takes the same action. I mean, they truly are fanatical in a negative way and they also love their guns, think nothing of violence and have few reasoning skills. Not a good combo. I think the damage they inflict would be more physical than confrontational. We don't want to encourage them.

In the right time and right place.

@dare2dream I'm not sure that we have that luxury these days.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:205723
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.