Agnostic.com

22 4

Soulmates

Does anyone out there believe in Soulmates? Human beings are so diverse and there are so many. I find it hard to believe that there's only one special someone meant just for me. But as I've grown older and a little wiser, my prospects for potential mates are very few, actually zero at the moment. The romantic in me wants to believe the perfect Woman will show in due time. And I will not settle for another relationship that is lacking Trust, Cooperation, Understanding, and Empathy.

PeaceContagion 5 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I suppose one must believe in souls to have a soulmate......that leave me out!

Yeah I'm pretty sure my ex-wife didn't have a soul either. Just kidding. Somehow I just know that I have a soul, and I think it's the inner most part of us that makes us unique. Have you ever met two people who are exactly the same, even identical twins are very different once you get to know them.

To me it's simply a romantic concept, and not a very practical one. In a world of 6+billion people, even if you narrow that down to legitimate prospects, that's what? maybe 100 million tops? What are the chances of you happening to meet that 1 in 100 million? Can't buy it, sorry. And if one thinks such an individual surely does exist, how many opportunities for happiness may be overlooked for a fantastic notion that likely will never materialize?

@Akfishlady I think we think a lot alike, don't we?

@Akfishlady Aww, thank you. That was really sweet, and made my day.

Hahahahahahaha! Get a room! Hahahaha!

@Akfishlady we have seen love born today

I was just going to say well said. Now I feel like I'm interrupting....

Yeah, if I was 15 years younger, maybe. I don't think she'd want to be changing diapers in 10 years. Or 5. Oye.

@Donotbelieve wouldn't that be extraordinary!

I believe if you meet the right person you will just click. The longer you're together you'll grow into soulmates.

No. I do not believe in soulmates. I think it's a lot of hooey.

LOL!!! Is hooey French for bullshit?

@DwayneHicks I'm not even sure why I used 'hooey' instead of 'bullshit'. But, it's all the same.

7.5 billion people on the planet today, give or take 3. That is not to mention all those that died since we were born and those yet to be born in our lifetime. To think that there is 1 out there that is just for us and we will find them, forego all others, just keep searching for the one. I don't think so.
I don't understand people, I don't understand why some women are interested in me and why some others are not. Too many factors. But, acceptance and compromise are gig important factors.
Ignore the people who fall in love young and live happily ever after, what do they know? They fluked it. Listen to people like me who have so many mistakes to learn from, so many failed attempts, so many unmitigated disasters, so many monumental stuff ups.

I think of it more like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. I you dumped out all the pieces of every jigsaw puzzle in the world, mixed them all up then started trying to fit them together you'd come up with pieces that seemed to fit but when you looked at the picture weren't really a match but might do or you could keep looking for one that both the shape and the pattern matched. But there isn't just one piece that happens for, for a start most pieces join up on four sides and if you took every jigsaw puzzle in the world there is likely to be more than one copy of each puzzle.
So yes there are times the fit and match is right, there are more times the pieces will hang together but it doesn't quite work and there are even more times when the pieces simply don't fit together. Whether you ever find a copy of the right piece is a matter of luck and patience.

Kimba Level 7 Feb 3, 2018

There's isn't just one, trouble is there are way too many people who just don't talk to each other like people used to. you probably walk past people thinking they're nice while they think the same. from what I see there is so much peer pressure to marry and have children that no one remembers the part of actually finding the right person and just make do.

I don't believe in soulmates. There was a time when I did.

I think if you wait until you happen to bump into your "Soul Mate" you may be too old to do anything about it. If I were of an Asian religion (which is where that concept comes from), I would believe that your soul mate will be guided to you at some point, if not in this life but in the next or the one after that. What's that Crosby, Stills and Nash song? "Love the one you're with!"

There are likely numerous potential partners spanning a range of compatabilities. Some people will settle for less compatability, others wait, hoping for more. I figure the best matches for me personally would be drawn by the life that I live. So... I am living well.

Zster Level 8 Feb 3, 2018

Not really. I believe that we may find someone that we are compatible with but haven't most of us been the perfect for us person more than once in our lives?

If soulmates were true then there would ever only be one. And I realize that there have been people that hit the jackpot and remained together for a lifetime but we don't truly know how happy they were inside.

My parents were together for 67 years until my dad died a year ago. I have to say that, after 6 months or so, I have never seen my mother happier.

@shockwaverider i wonder about my parents, going on 65 years, sad about you mom

I have had lots of "soul mates", and often they are not sexual partners. Sometimes we drift apart and the soul mate status is temporary. This "mating for life" ideal is an artificial construct thrust upon mankind in order to gain control over our behavior.... it's all part and parcel of organized religion in some form. Are humans truly monogamous when the constraints of society are removed? I sure as hell wouldn't be!!!

Absofuckinglutely! Thank you!

Soulmates... I had seen them myself... more than one. We simply at times we are not ready or the logistics are not in place. But we keep options open and wait. I don't believe in numbers crunching or probabilities of success or failure. All I can tell you is they are out there. You don't have to understand. But if it happens to you... suddenly you get it and love is not it, is a different type of communion. Romance is not either. Something different.

Thank you my fellow Seeker.

@DwayneHicks is communion of the souls after all... it is something different and makes everything different. Is as if you needed glasses all your life but didn't knew it. Suddenly someone handles you a pair of glasses to meet your need and you start seeing a different life experience in that same old world of always. Don't give up the quest because there is more than one pair glasses or souls.

Yeah. The real thing changes everything,doesn't it? Makes it damn hard to settle for "normal" afterwards though.

@Blindbird Correct and you can't explain to the fools why they can't have it or how come they don't have it.

@GipsyOfNewSpain they aren't fools, they just haven't had that experience yet.

Hmm yeah, well on the general topic of what people are sexually attracted to ...

Sapiosexuals .... Attracted to intelligence. These seem to be avoiding me for some reason. I can't figure that out.

Demisexual .... Can't experience sexual attraction unless there is already emotional attachment. Sadly, I can relate to this. It means sex for sport or as a social activity in a club is out of the question .... Dang it!!

Hobosexual ... Attracted to people who can provide a place to sleep. Unfortunately I find a lot of these.

More later or feel free to add...

i hope you find what you want

First you need a soul and since they are made up then it stands that soulmates are also made up

Soulmate lasts about 7 years or until the woman gets tired of your shit or finds something better.

I believe a soulmate is someone we have loved in a past life but that doesn't mean we are destined to be together in this life maybe you've already met as kids but one of you rejected the other not that its either of your faults society has a large roll in stereotypes.

I can't stand the concept of a soul mate. It implies that you don't have to work hard at a relationship because "it is meant to be." I work in the domestic violence field. I can't count how many "soul mates" I have worked with that experienced unspeakable cruelty. I've been married to my best friend for 21 years and we have never considered each other "soul mates."

I've met 1 true soulmate and until I met her I don't think I really understood what it meant. She and I have casual been friends for a long time but we both went through relationship crises at the same time and we gave each other an ear to talk to and a shoulder to cry on over a period of a couple of years. In that time we were both shocked that, although we have virtually nothing in common when it comes to music or movies or hobbies, we are unbelievably similar in our core values. By that I mean

• we have identical desires/expectations of our partners and we are hurt by exactly the same things
  • we show/need love in exactly the same ways
  • we have identical work ethic and the way we save/spend money is the same
  • we problem-solve in the same ways too and we usually agree with solution proposed by the other person
  • we have virtually identical tastes in food and wine and we even seem to choose the same foods on the same nights, 1000 miles apart.

The casual and weird similarities are continually surprising us even though we are not a couple and probably won't be. But we do love and trust each other totally and we are always there to help each other in times of crisis.

The problem with believing the highly illogical, thanks Spock, notion of a soulmate, is that it is a setup for a life of misery if your soulmate turns into your little demon from hell. I worked with a woman in her late twenties. She said she was done with romance. She believed she had met "the one" and now that he was gone there was no point in looking again. Now, as I write this, I can't remember why they were no longer together. She might have killed him....hmmmm...can't recall.

He's the "none" now

@HeyHiHullo lol

I am unsure on this one. I would like to think someone exists that matches me perfectly but who knows. I would like to think that if a soulmate existed that we would be drawn to each other enough that we would meet. I know that none of my previous relationships came close.

Kim78 Level 4 Feb 3, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20607
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.