Agnostic.com

15 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Because most are born into a strict religion and it’s ingrained

guess Level 1 Nov 3, 2018

Because of decades worth of brainwashing and tactical lying on the theistic side.

No true believer would be threatened by my lack of belief, or yours. The hypocrites kicking up this fuss are confused idiots who usually don't even know what an atheist is. But they hate us anyway, because.... stuff.

When was the last time a theist expressed criticism of atheism that was both accurate and a valid point to make about the "dangers of atheism"?

As the French like to say: "America is a country. Europe is mature". Church-goers have dwindled in number, in Europe.They are dwindling here too. But not at the rate they have in Europe. This is probably because America has always been viewed as a refuge for people of strong, religious beliefs.

Atheist are what is called, "value-threateners." to jesus-lovers. If we live peacefully and happily, it causes jesus-people to have cognitive dissonance. Therefore, they have to dislike us and say we are wrong and bad, to "fix" the conflicting thoughts in their head.

They often consider us amoral or immoral - by definition. I think that value system is preached... It’s as though the only ones with the β€œcorrect values” are Christians. So they β€œare above us” on the morality plane - by (their) definition.
Like someone said: β€œGoing to church on Sunday doesn’t make you a Christian any more than walking into your garage makes you a car”.

My take is that religion is handed down in families at a very young age. Children learn that following the family's beliefs is reinforced and is emotionally rewarding.

Anything that challenges the comfort zone is always negatively.

What Goonie said. Americans are afraid of everything.

Kudos to the "New Yorker" for breaching this touchy subject. As for the "Lack of belief in God is still too often taken to mean the absence of any other meaningful moral beliefs, and that has made atheists an easy minority to revile." I would think many people looking at so called religious morality would be really concerned the road that, so-called morality, has led. Again, as I and many others have said, there nedds to be a change in vocabulary. Atheist still has too many bad connotations and too many people are still rooted in the past. The iint's group hoping to address this is "The Brights". [the-brights.net]

That's a good question... The Bible Belt is real among other things that eventually will be removed from society. It's a slow process, it will take more generations to get there but it will

I live in the Bible belt, and I can tell you that religion is doing well here. I agree that eventually, religion will be the minority, but not anytime soon. My best guess is 3 to 5 hundred years if we survive Trumps presidency that is.

@paul1967 I live in the Bible Belt as well and looking at the trend for the last 20 years, religion keeps getting thiner by the day now. As I have said, it will take at least two more generations for reason to take over.

@IamNobody You might be correct and at my age, I'll be 90 in two generations and most likely dead (one can only hope), but I think that's too optimistic. Religion will contract and expand as it takes it's dying breaths.

@paul1967 Like any other disease, either kill the host or goes away..... I am putting my money on religion vanishing in the long run

People talk about atheists with terms like "he/she doesn't believe in God" as if the existence of god is assumed and atheists choose not to believe it.

I agree that belief or lack of belief isn't a choice, but for "some of us," what is a choice is everything that leads up to our lack of belief. We chose evidence over faith. We chose to train our minds to be skeptical. We chose to question, and we chose not to allow the fear of Hell to get in our way of the truth.

Thanks for the link.

"The Christian share of the U.S. population is declining, while the number of U.S. adults who do not identify with any organized religion is growing, according to an extensive new survey by the Pew Research Center. Moreover, these changes are taking place across the religious landscape, affecting all regions of the country and many demographic groups. While the drop in Christian affiliation is particularly pronounced among young adults, it is occurring among Americans of all ages." This is encouraging information. However, with approx. 70% of Americans being affiliated as Christian, that leaves a lot of people who would be uncomfortable with Atheism.

The label Atheism carries with it a lot of baggage, and I'm very proud of that baggage, let people be uncomfortable. Atheism isn't just a lack of belief for me; it's also a flag of freedom, skepticism, tolerance, pride, and unrewarded charity.

Addicts are always uncomfortable with non-addicts in their group.

Being an A-theist, is saying that there is no god(s), religion is nonsense, superstition, myth and can be harmful to society. When the majority 'mercans are religious, that is pretty much a slap in the face and being laughed at to them.

Hmm... Posts about discomfort with atheism, username is fourth largest religion--what with everyone wanting to know "how to convert to PDF"... πŸ˜›

Sorry not sorry. Low-hanging fruit... πŸ˜€

I hate when people call Atheism a religion. I know you're just reciting the description, but Atheism is the lack of faith and the rejection of religion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:206694
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.