Agnostic.com

35 3

Do you think that science teachers should teach alternatives to evolution in public schools?

Rickster 5 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nearly all school science textbooks are printed in Texas and you had better believe they include creationism as science. In many places teachers at public schools have to teach creationism on equal scientific grounds as evolution. The question is how can we help turn the tide on these fundamentalist jerks who are actively trying to get the masses to embrace ignorance at an even greater level.

They may be printed in TX (I don't know about that), but the major publishers are now very much in pursuit of each state and having a textbook correlated to that state's learning standards. So, if the state specifically does NOT have anything about evolution, it may not be there. If the state specifically EXCLUDES creationism, it will not be there. Pearson, McDougell-Littel, and all the other big publishers have learned that they cannot have just one generic textbook anymore. As someone that has been on the textbook adoption committees for a couple of districts, I can tell you that each publisher pays well those folks that they hire to customize the text for a particular state.

Only if they teach alchemy in chemistry classes, astrology in astronomy classes, and quidditch in gym.

You sold me in at quidditch . . . but I don't think that was your intention

I don't have a problem with it, so long as ALL current viewpoints pertaining to the topic of the development of the universe are covered. Every single one.

I'm a science teacher. Which alternatives should I teach: that a great cosmic egg hatched and formed the universe, and we came after that? Or, that we sprung from the land as ancient gods needed to be worshipped? Or, should I teach that aliens brought us here, built the pyramids, and then left? Ooh, my favorite - that we all are descendants of a single male/female pair that was created out of dirt by a deity that later got mad when some of these inbreds didn't worship him properly?? NO thank you. I will teach evolution as closely to science as possible, and will incorporate new info as it becomes available. IF there should ever be evidence of a deity, THEN I'll gladly change my approach. I'm not holding my breath.

There are no alternatives, creationism is a farce.

frico Level 2 Dec 11, 2017

No.

Only to ridicule and denigrate them.

NO. There are no credible "alternatives" to evolution.

The theory of evolution is continually being refined, which causes some people to gloat 'Darwin was wrong!' But this happens to all scientific theories as data are collected and refined. No scientific theory is ever the last word. Nevertheless, evolution works MUCH better than any other explanation, and so evolution is what scientists should teach.

To my knowledge there is no valid alternative to .

bard Level 2 Jan 26, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2069
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.