Agnostic.com

35 3

Do you think that science teachers should teach alternatives to evolution in public schools?

Rickster 5 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are no alternatives.

Zorro Level 4 Oct 23, 2017

Only if those alternatives are based in science. Religion-based alternatives should be put in their place, as a study of subcultures within societies-at-large.

To my knowledge there is no valid alternative to .

bard Level 2 Jan 26, 2018

The theory of evolution is continually being refined, which causes some people to gloat 'Darwin was wrong!' But this happens to all scientific theories as data are collected and refined. No scientific theory is ever the last word. Nevertheless, evolution works MUCH better than any other explanation, and so evolution is what scientists should teach.

NO. There are no credible "alternatives" to evolution.

Only to ridicule and denigrate them.

No.

I don't have a problem with it, so long as ALL current viewpoints pertaining to the topic of the development of the universe are covered. Every single one.

No.

I think they should teach the facts~ wherever that leads. I was taught the components of evolution in my middle school science class at a Catholic school but the word "evolution" itself had too much controversy surrounding it at the time and I guess they didn't want the extreme parents complaining about what their children were being taught. I am forever grateful for my science teacher teaching us about non-random biological adaptations over time even without saying the word. Also, having comparative religious courses are fine by me- just don't let the religious "beliefs" cross over into other courses that are supposed to be built on evidence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2069
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.