Agnostic.com

29 4

Why is the label African Americans used to describe black Americans

I hope this isn't viewed as racist because it's a question, not a negation. I'm asking because it seems inaccurate for anyone who is born in America, especially those with generational roots here in America. I mean if you're willing to say Africa is your roots and it doesn't matter that you have deep generational roots here in America if you say that, aren't we all African Americans?

paul1967 8 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can’t speak for others but I despise being labeled as Asian-Canadian. I wasn’t born in Canada but I grew up here. I identify myself only as Canadian. To me Canadians describe people of all skin colours, ethnic backgrounds, religions/beliefs or lack thereof, etc etc. I grew up in a multicultural environment and as kids we don’t differentiate each other on the basis of racial or ethic background. Even today, sometimes I’m surprised when someone identifies me as Asian. I forget even that I might be “different” or a minority in certain situations. I’m even offended sometimes when I’m differentiated as being Asian. I’m just plain Canadian. I don’t need qualifiers.

That said, I can’t dictate to others how they should identify themselves. I would go with what is the most acceptable at the time to avoid conflict. If I’m not sure, I would ask. But, I do understand what you’re trying to get at. If we trace our DNA far enough, we all originate from the same place. May be we shouldn’t look at it from the point of view of physical origins or attributes but more general heritage, keeping it in a somewhat vague sense.

This really weirded me out when I lived in USA. People would describe themselves as Irish Americans who had never been to Ireland, or Italian American or whatever. I couldn't understand a nation that was at the same time massively patriotic (like I was once called 'unAmerican' for not liking cheese...I'm English!) and also clinging hold of some ancient history from two or three generations previous. I mean I don't call myself a Viking Brit!

@PalacinkyPDX If I was born there yes of course. If I had been British living in a foreign land (which I was for many years), I would consider myself to be British. But these ppl do not live in foreign lands, they live in the land of their birth, but still ellude to some ideas of the 'homeland' which defintely no longer exist.

@PalacinkyPDX I was born a long time after India gained independance. I was a Brit living overseas for long enough so I understand the yearn of the motherland. However I was born in England. These people are second or third generation Americans, with absolutely no ties to the land of their great grandparents. It wasn't that they yearned for the 'old country' . It was they did not see the irony of claiming patriotism and then describe themself as belonging to another nation entirely. I remember hearing Whoopie Goldberg saying, 'I've been to Africa. I am an American!' Its a very odd thing.

@PalacinkyPDX I absolutely have no experience of having to leave a country due to the forced starvation by destructive dictators. I have absolutely no experience of what it is like to be stolen from my home. I have the experience of being a working class girl from a country whose powers that be, were guilty of such atrocities. I understand people wishing to retain something of their heritage (like the muslim brothers and sisters near me). What I don't understand is the yearning for one thing and claiming an affiliation to something that by 3rd or 4th generation is utterly and completely alien to them. For example when I lived in USA, most people thought I was Irish because of my hair. Then tried to tell me I would 'hate' them because they 'are Irish', when they discovered, I am English. The thing is, way back, my family were Scandavian, my grandfather was a 'Stephenson', which is a derivative of a scandanvian name. I am tall, big boned, fair and definitely of Viking ancestory. I have never once described myself as Norwegian, or Danish, because I am English. I think after 3 or 4 generations you should stick with the country of yer birth. What was weird for me was people claiming to be 'Irish' or 'Italian' or whatever but waved the stars and stripes with tears in their eyes when the national anthem came on. I do not attribute any right or wrong, its just weird to me.

@PalacinkyPDX Something else you need to remember is that most English people aren't really into flag waving. You may see a few in NI or the saltire in Scotland. The union jack has been hijacked by the far right and the george cross only comes out at the football. Patriotism seems a bit ick and out of place in 2018, especially considering all the shitty things we did.

@PalacinkyPDX

Just a bit of fun 😉

Why is there an Irish-American parade for people whose families haven't set foot off this continent in like 150 years? Or German-American festivals where oom-pah music is played at innocent bystanders?

Don't all these titles divide us more than they unite us? I know where my ancestors were from, vaguely, but so what? That was all more than 4 generations ago. I was born right here.

Can't we all be American Americans?

How else do you separate a group from the whole, label them something other than American!

BillF Level 7 Oct 24, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:207050
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.