Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK An American President Is Leading One Of The Largest Hate Movements In History - The Intellectualist

A long time ago Sinclair Lewis wrote the book "It Can't Happen Here." to demonstrate that yes, it could.

Cleansed from U.S. History books was the fact that about a third of Americans supported the Fascist movements around the world... right up until the attack on Pearl Harbor.

snytiger6 9 Oct 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When Trump was elected I thought that all the Trump memes, videos of him singing, and parody songs about the republican party would get me through his presidency. Now I'm not so sure... I doubt that he will actually end up getting impeached, but I hope that most of his voters will have come to realize by time the next election comes that we cannot keep a president like that. I don't care if you are a republican, democrat, green party, independent, whatever else. Just please, please, no one reelect him!

Interesting how many books were written ''awhile back'' which are so accurate now! "1984," "The HandMaid's Tale"..."It Can't Happen Here," etc. They reflect our deepest fears, don't they? The loss of our democracy .....

I think it is also a reflection about how those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

@snytiger6 True. Several of these books were required reading when I was in school. SOMEONE wanted us to think!

@LucyLoohoo I remember talk about a "classical education". I graduated high school in 1980, and only got the slightest sliver of what was left of that. In college, which I started in the 1990's, there was no hint of it. I've read classics on myown, but without classroom discussion, to consider different points, I doubt that just reading it by itself was enough.

@snytiger6 As I recall, we read the books and then had discussions about the topics. If you were born during the 50s, your parents/teachers remembered the McCarthy ''hearings,'' when everyone who WAS anyone was accused of being a ''Commie'' and the government was in the grip of a self-satisfied Senator named McCarthy. I think the classes we took/books we read were in part a reaction to that terrible time.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:208604
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.