Agnostic.com

19 1

Are atheists more promiscuous?

• 8 votes
  • 34 votes
ranger 5 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Intelligent people often have high sex drives, sometimes to the point of being hypersexual. But our sexuality is not restricted by dogma or shame.

I think religious persons are more promiscuous. Part of their fake piety is so they can get that extra thrill about being "naughty".

No, quite the reverse. Take the religious guru's that are abusing the children within their flock, a very common occurrence. Take the thousands, yes, thousands of popes, cardinals and priests who have been, and are violating your children as I write., For some strange reason they cannot control themselves.

I sure hope so.

Yes, and I don't feel guilty about it either.

Yes, and I don't feel guilty about it either.

Promiscuous implies a moral(religious) baseline. The reality is, most non-believers have a code of behavior based on ethics, or personal belief. So no, unfortunately we are being out bred at an alarming rate by the ultra religious and the unpardonably stupid. Come on free thinkers, take one for the team, get out there and fuck

I suspect we have the same amount of sex, but might admit to more, rather than hide it in shame like our religious counterparts often do. A small percentage of believers might wait until marriage, but most who I have known do/did not. Thus the numbers might slightly skew toward nonbelievers having more.

Zster Level 8 Feb 4, 2018

I don't like the way the question is worded. The word "promiscuous" in our society has a negative and somewhat judgmental connotation, and almost always applies to women. Perhaps it should say something like 'more sexual partners'.

marga Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

I think that we have different drives and desires.
Sexuality is part of living. There is nothing dirty about health. There's also nothing wrong with being flirtatious and promiscuous with your own partner to keep things going.
Long term relationships are not for everyone.

"promiscuous with your own partner"? Isn't that a contradiction in terms? Or an oxymoron?

So what popped into my head was

"I hope so!"

That's what I was thinking!! LOL

HAHAHAHA

I don't think it has to do with whether or not one is religious. Religious folks just keep their sexual exploits under wraps, or try to.

I have as much sex as I want...and I did so both when I was religious and once I became non-religious.

Define promiscuous.

And what comparator are we using? More than what? An apple? A satanic sex cult? Hindus? The rest of the world?

Once we have a common definition and something to compare atheists against,then maybe we can vote.

The very question is skewed, it’s a belief about what sex means. You have sex positive, neutral, and negative views. If you view from sex negative, then you believe in promiscuity, but if you believe choice is human behavior and love sensation you’d call it sexually liberated or do atheists have more sexual partners, or some such.

I don’t view sex as dirty (well, to have sex as to defile — ) but I do view it as highly intimate and as such don’t want to have a lot of partners.

I also think atheists are normal bands of people so they have normal rates of partners, presence of sexual appetites, and kinks as any other randomized group of people, the concept that we’d be MORE “dirty” is a religious means to dehumanize us.

Of course we also tend to be more honest, and higher education rates so that also pushes toward lower partner rates in those spheres, but that’s not belief system at that point.

Short of studying people how the bloody hell could we know that. look at all the religious people doing disgusting things.

Well maybe. Remove guilt from a natural function and sex may feel better. However, just because you own a gun doesn't mean you have go around shooting at everyone you meet.

We just don't feel guilty because we know we are not doing anything sinful.

Exactly!

Not really going on anything but my gut reaction, but I don't think atheists would be any more or less promiscuous than anyone else. The days of couples staying together because the Church frowns upon divorce is a thing of a past generation, and I'm guessing that if it comes right down to it, curiosity and teenage hormones will win almost every time...

It is doubtful but they may spend a lot less time feeling guilty about it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20862
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.