Agnostic.com

9 3

Religiousity in Music

Do you doubt but still love certain types of religious music?
Schubert masses or Mahalia Jackson? I'll admit to still feeling stirred by it even if it's just an emotional response to another human's spiritual longing.

BrianPB 3 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

🙂 ha ha a lot of the music I like is religious. Gospel or some bluegrass. Islamic Sufi music is awesome
Looks like God has all the best tunes, eh? 😉

I very much disagree with the message of this song but there can be no doubt that it is beautiful.

I am no longer a believer, but like what I used to, regardless. I tend to focus on beats and tunes, rather than lyrics. So, perhaps religious songs were less so for me. Many hymns lift their tunes/melodies directly from known classical pieces anyway. So, which am I still liking? (;

Zster Level 8 Feb 4, 2018

Beautiful music is beautiful music. With great harmonies the lyrics fade away. Grew up going to church, and still like a lot of the songs. I do draw the line at things like "washed in the blood of the lamb".

I had taken 16 century italian religious music added afro cuban drums and morphed it into my own eclectic genre to my pleasure. Sometimes adding lyrics were religion may be involved but not in an enlighten shade.

Of course... music is music.

There's is a lot of (mainly classical) sacred music that I enjoy listening to. The Fauré Requiem and others, lots of a capella choral music especially in the Anglican (think King's College) tradition. They don't inspire any religious feeling in me; it's just great music.

Yes, the same here with me. I even enjoy listening to Montiverdi's 1610 Vespers, I have a recording of this being played on 'original' instruments including the Cornett (not the brass band cornet) and Sackbuts (an early type of trombone)

The Fauré and Verdi Requiems are fascinating bookends. Verdi's is theatrical and dramatic, Fauré's is peaceful and calming. As if death is merely coming to rest. Brahms the Protestant wrote a German Requiem.

@BrianPB Yes, and Brahms avoided any mention of Christ.

@Coffeo Jesus rose from the dead. The rest of us just lie there.😟

Religions music is beautiful in and of itself. The only time that the lyrics matter is in chanting. But you may regard those sounds as nonsense words much like in doo wap. Enjoy the sound of a great pipe organ piece and forget the words, for they are just words. Vocal works are a little more difficult. Treat them as nursery rhymes, nonsense made pleasing to the ear.

For me it depends entirely on just how religious it is. If it's preaching or trying to convert me, I find it too offputting to even appreciate. If it's mildly religious I can appreciate the art, but won't go out of my way to listen to it. If it's just got a reference to god but doesn't otherwise seem religious, I can get full enjoyment out of it.

d_day Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

I enjoy listening to Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band performing the old Charles Wesley hymn tunes. The words are inane but the tunes are very 'singable' and they really 'belt' them out even though they are a secular non religious group

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20883
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.