Agnostic.com

4 0

I believe this is politics... With the coming of self-driving cars I have a question: 1a) Will Americans buy a car that can not exceed the speed limit? 1b)Will car manufacturers open themselves up to lawsuits by offering cars that can exceed the speed limits? This looks to me like a head-butting disaster.

Dick_Martin 7 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I bet self driving vehicles will eventually be so much safer and reliable than human drivers that there won't need to be a speed limit. The computer will know the fastest yet still safe speed to travel at and will go at that speed.

I like your thinking. Good point. Very good point.

I think self-drive completely changes the attitude towards speeding.

'I don't want to be restricted! It's a challenge to me - my authority, my independance, I'M THE DRIVER!'

But if that person is NOT the driver - then speed restrictions suddenly become less personal, less a challenge to individual ego. It becomes more a matter of simply getting there.

I like that. Good thinking. That could very well be the answer. We have adapted to the 4-way stop... Yeah. I bet you're right.

I've always been ready for automatic driving. Can't wait to program where I want to go, sit back and read a book, or take a nap.

The challenge would be to make the self-driving cars unhackable, although, technically, most modern cars can already be sabotaged by the government if they want to get rid of a witness.

Autonomy will steadily increase over years to come and at some point we will hit the 'tipping point'.

20 years ago, cruise control was novelty and rarely used. It's now a standard/optional feature on most cars. Adaptive cruise is common on luxury cars and lane control is appearing too.

Bit by bit, we will start to accept more and autodrive features - in europe all cars now have ABS, stability control, traction control and a host of other features that take more and more control from the driver.

Fully autonomous cars cannot function fully until there are few driven cars left - the safety features would stop you pushing into queues on busy roads and would always give way to the aggressively manually driven car.

But it will come......

It's already here. This is no longer future-talk. [waymo.com] 4 million miles self-driven
We drive more than 25,000 autonomous miles each week, largely on complex city streets. That’s on top of 1 billion simulated miles we drove just in 2016.

I know the technology is there - I try to keep up with developments - but I think it needs to be drip fed to Joe Public. Take ev's - there is a steady increase in sales, but currently the buyers are making excuses not to take up the new tech. As infrastructure increases and price decreases there will be a slow year on year increase in sales. Norway is the first country to reach the tipping point, last year over 40% of new registrations were ev's, mostly due to massive taxes on ICE vehicles and big incentives for ev's (A Tesla P75 cost about the same as a Ford Focus)
It will take a while for new tech to take hold, price being one factor, but it will come.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20900
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.