Agnostic.com

6 1

Does anyone else here have super religious family that can't cope with you being atheist I have family that can't understand why I'm atheist and don't believe in God

Knightmare 4 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love my family and know they love me, but honestly, if we weren’t related we wouldn’t have anything to do with each other. We have absolutely nothing in common except relatives.

Only my mother.

Yep, but it has been years and most of the dust settled after my parents passed. Mom was 2nd generation working in the church along with her immediate family, so while it was expected to believe the business aspect of church was an always present contradiction. Really did a number on my lack of interest in the holidays, which, as they are far more consumer events than celebrations at this point, has turned into a blessing. Ironically. I was asked by my mother before she passed what it was like to die (long story) and we had an honest conversation that I wished I would have had with her decades before. Faith is personal, and I'll try to respect everyone's, but church really doesn't matter in the end. And for most it's hard to go against so much indoctrination. It used to make me frustrated, but now I view it with a combination of pity and resignation, and I think that's the best that's going to come of that. At least in my family. All the best.

That's gonna be most of us. Very few families are understanding of this lifestyle change, unfortunately. My family stays in touch with me, but the level of tension in large get-togethers is palpable.

Yeah, my family disowned me after I can out as atheist, my whole family is super religious. I went from being the JW version of a preacher to an atheist so it was a bit of a shock to some.

My father used to be a pastor so yah grew up with it- they give me the we raised you better line and i don't talk about religion or politics @.@

"Raise better" in this context is "We thought we properly brainwash you"

@J75243 yah man my mom had my life planed out gonna merry a pastor son have 10 kids and im like im not having puppies lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20936
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.