Agnostic.com

12 5

How does Galileo’s struggle as a scientist with the Catholic church correlate to the challenges scientists are facing today with religious Republicans regarding global warming?

Galileo Galilei (February 15, 1564 to January 8, 1642) was an Italian astronomer, mathematician, physicist, philosopher, and professor who made pioneering observations of nature with long-lasting implications for the study of physics. He also constructed a telescope and supported the Copernican theory, which supports a sun-centered solar system. Galileo was accused twice of heresy by the church for his beliefs and wrote several books on these ideas.
Galileo's contribution to our understanding of the universe was significant not only in his discoveries, but in the scientific method he developed and the use of mathematics to prove them. He played a major role in the scientific revolution and, deservedly so, earned the title "The Father of Modern Science."
Although the Catholic Church treated Galileo with respect, they feared his discovery and fame. They supported the doctrine of Aristotle (the Earth as center of the Universe). However, in a final attempt to break his spirit, he was threatened with torture until he admitted he supported the Copernican theory (Sun as the Center of the Universe). The Inquisition let to a conviction in 1633 and he was placed under house arrest for the remainder of his life.
How does Galileo’s struggle as a scientist with the Catholic church correlate to the challenges scientists are facing today with religious Republicans regarding global warming?

sciteachmd 6 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think the religious people's power is based on them saying that God gives them power, when in fact, it is their own power. But this power is the power of ignorance and avoidance. On the other hand, we make it look like we are powerful too, so they are afraid to debate us. Admitting power comes from yourself makes you show power in a different way. The power of one, as opposed to a cheapened mass of people, can be quite classy.

Interestingly The battle between The Ptolemy and Copernican was not self evident. The Ptolemaic system worked and in terms of relativity equally valid. The point is that the Copernican system was BETTER. Whilst the ptolemaic system was pigs ear, the transit of Mars was particularly erratic. It is often the quality of a theory that makes it accepted. How it BEST fits the data.

I always thought it was interesting how, motivated by religion, Tycho Brahe worked so hard to roll back advances and prove a geocentric model half a century after Copernicus published his work. I thought it was technically interesting how Brahe explained planetary retrograde motion, but it just didn't quite work.

[en.wikipedia.org]

@MollyBell Science based but not pure science. I can heartily recommend " Longitude " either the book or film.

@273kelvin I'll check it out, thank you.

You know, I find it interesting that the Catholics during Galileo's time, called m a heretic because of what he believed! Now, the Catholics take what he said back then as truth and fact! How does that make Catholicism look? Even eyeglasses! At first, they called them the devil's work! Now we see that they are not the devil's work, but science! And most of the Catholics, or so-called Kaplan wear glasses today, because the Pope has declared it not the devil's work!

In general, all of Catholicism is b*** to me because of things like this! And that's just the tip of the iceberg!

Back then it was not a iterate crowd and there were no libraries and such, To expect that back then in one thing but to find, today, we have a crowd of conservatives who choose to NOT read, NOT research, and NOT watch real news
the Scientist today are quite aware of this situation and many top ones are moving to Europe, One scientist I heard recently was asked why he went to Europe, for the money?. His answer was that in Europe evolution is not even questioned where as in the US they continue to debate it. I need an environment based on truth.

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 5, 2018

Maybe we should all move to Europe.

In reality, the contemporary Pope believed him and appreciated his intellect and abilities; however, it was a Cardinal in Naples (then a significant power in the catholic world) who made a big stink. So religion and politics mucked things up once again. Another example fir a strict adherence to separation if church and state

In reality, the contemporary Pope believed him and appreciated his intellect and abilities; however, it was a Cardinal in Naples (then a significant power in the catholic world) who made a big stink. So religion and politics mucked things up once again. Another example fir a strict adherence to separation if church and state

There are definite similarities. Not only are huge sections of science disbelieved "'cuz Bible" but, especially in the arena of global warming, a lot of disinformation is spread in the name of the most almighty religion - Capitalism.

While doing the right thing by supporting life, health, and safety on the planet would bring about the greatest return on investment in terms of real rewards. having to drag our feet while people figure out how to do this while showing a financial profit on the next quarter could easily kill us all.

An echo, a mirror, a threat.

This is such an important question. Life on this planet hangs in the balance. Short sightedness and greed motivate those that lead the deniers. Then the Catholic Church saw a threat to its existence. Today there is a faction of Catholic environmentalists including the Pope. Today all the steps we can take to ward off global warming are a threat to big oil and other big corporations. They care only for their huge wealth today and care nothing for tomorrow or people or the sanctity of life. Then there's Monsanto - company that discovered that food is even a more effective way to steal wealth. Twisting science, selectively picking and choosing scientific data to serve their own ends is the mainstay of their success. After suppressing scientific investigations they proclaim science as their savior. Likewise, big Pharma does the same. The day will come when the obscenely priced chemo will meet its doom. I have seen a documentary by a former executive of Sloan Kettering telling how positive tests of laetrile were deliberately suppressed, as an example. Suppressing test results that do not serve is rampant in all these corporations.

Unfortunately. we are at the mercy of the supposed watch dogs who have a fiduciary duty to warn and safeguard the public when it comes to the misuse of food and drugs. Our government has a duty to protect its citizenry by creating safeguards to protect our environment (drinking water, air, and soil). The scientific illiterates are running these programs now. We need an agency to watch over the watch-dogs and it is not going to happen due to the scientifically illiterate environment created by the present administration and the power mongers who only see everything in terms of how much money they can make. It is corruption to the highest point.

@money always trumps honest effort, unfortunately

@sciteachmd Thank you. I appreciate your passion for truth.

@zucicciu sad, yes, but true!

The Church was corrupt with power then as he State is now. The only thing that keeps the state from locking up climate scientists today is the eminence of liberal thought. Tomorrow, who knows?

jeffy Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

The church is still corrupt today, perhaps even more so

Frankly, that’s not even the largest issue— it’s the scientific illiteracy, antivax, antievolution, flat earth, AND climate change... the challenge is how to convince them that the glass tower of people lying is at the center of their pew and altar.

Antivax - is really anti multivax and anti putting serious pollutants in vaccines. Pollutants are used to make it cheaper. Mercury, formaldehyde for starters. Overloading with many vaccines in one has killed and created serious problems. Applying it at a too young age is another factor. There is a concerted effort to muddy the waters by just claiming that these objections are anti tax.

It is a frightening situation. Christians are hard fast entrenched in their ideology, and their discourse protects them very effectively against learning other than, or listening to other than, consider other than, and don’t even think of questioning! Did you know that for then, their book tels them, that anyone contradicting them is the ”devil” trying to pull them away from “walking with the lord “? But of course, they feel the obligation to convince us to see life and live life the way they do, and if not voluntarily then by force. What do you do with people like that?!

Why yes, I have interacted with Christians like that. Also normal people who happen to believe a book I think disproves itself more than enough, and some people who take things literally and others that really don’t. Sorry if you’ve yet to meet the latter. @Rodatheist

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20988
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.