Agnostic.com

15 5

Why all or nothing

Why do people make the assumption (atheists, agnostics, et al. included) that if you do not subscribe to a particular faith, attend religious gatherings I.e. church, or profess some faith I'm a higher power, you are a godless atheist. Although I am a genuine agnostic ( I just don't know, but have spiritual practices), it has become apparent to me that this idea is not useful,. It denies the individual the right to be whatever he/she needs to be, pigeonholes them, and eliminates the principle of personal growth.
Just asking if you suffer from or have been affected by this point of view?

DaveAaron 5 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tend to state my case and if people agree with me fine! if they don't also fine! I don't see the point in trying to get anyone "on my side" as if its a tug -of -war and someone has to 'win over' the other. I see , telling how it is for you personally; as an exchange. I am not interested in the ideas of a battle for the soul or winning hearts and minds just - this is me if its at all interesting welcome to it - if not - read on - plenty more posts.

I ignore these ideas, and people, because it's simple closed-mindedness in my honest observations and analysis of life. I joined this site to seek like-minded individuals. However, It seems that this site will be added to my duck and avoid list, like dodgeball although extremely difficult to dodge everything deem harmful to my spiritual growth, peace, and well-being.

No I understand what you are saying and it seems you have a really good understanding of your own situation but for me there is no answer to this other than, be yourself do what delights you have fun or not as you choose. An orange would still feel and taste the same if it were called an apple -trust yourself - don't be pigeonholed you don't have to be. Your own personal growth is your own affair it doesn't have to be questioned by anyone other than you.

Even though I'm a nullifidian--a person with no faith or religious belief--I'm quite comfortable admitting to 'spiritual' experience, on occasion. For example, when I witnessed the total eclipse in western Idaho last summer, or when I attend the symphony, and they're playing a particularly exciting and climactic work--something like Respighi's Pines of Rome, or Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra, for example; or a pipe organ recital in a great European cathedral with extensive reverb--Durham, England and Passau, Germany were two recent highlights of my life. And so many more.

In fact, all of my most memorable experiences--what Maslow might call, 'peak experiences'--have come since leaving faith. I am, in a very real sense, more 'spiritual' now than I ever was when practicing religion.

Sounds more like you’re an agnostic theist.

To me this is a simple defnition differential.
"Although I am a genuine agnostic ( I just don't know, but have spiritual practices)"

Religious theologians actually teach a false narrative about Atheism and Agnosticism. Your opening statement tells me you are still laboring under that.

"Although I am a genuine agnostic ( I just don't know, but have spiritual practices)"

This tells me you are viewing agnosticism and Atheism as points on a linear line, on the left, Theism, In the middle Agnosticism, and on the right Atheism, this is FALSE and INTENTIONAL by theologians.

A-Theism is a response to Theism, the a prefix denotes "lack of"
This is a position on belief, you have a belief in a God, or you lack a belief in God

A-Gnosticism is a response to Gnosticism, the A-prefix denotes lack of
This is a position on Knowledge, you claim to have knowledge of a God, or you claim to lack such knowledge of a God

Religion does not want to even acknowledge Gnosticism, because by doing so they have to admit Atheism (a lack of belief) has weight.

With the FALSE linear model, they teach followers that Atheists are COUNTERCLAIMING, claiming that Theists claim there is a God, Agnostics do not know, and Atheists claim there is no God. That is wrong both on linguistics and basic honesty.

YOU sound to me like an Agnostic (no certain knowledge) Theist (Believer in some form of God )
While I am an Agnostic (no certain knowledge) Atheist (non believer in any God(s))

Yep.

Yes, thank you for sharing your viewpoint. There are many persons throughout history up 'til now, of course, that manipulate and twist (intentionally or not) reality resulting in logical fallacies for some sort of gain or just due to short-sightedness. This creates a bizarre case of the twilight zone, seemingly. Life is just strange to me as to the purpose and meaning and reasoning behind it all.

I like to think of what agent K said on Men in Black when he revealed (no pun intended) aliens were living on Earth and Will Smith's character said people were smart. K said people thought 'they had a firm grasp of reality' and didn't need to know it. The all or nothing thing is their firm grasp of reality so they don't have to think too much.

What do you mean by spiritual?

Spiritual, from the Greek spiritua to breathe. A relationship with both humans and the world around me. Usually based in ethics or usefulness to others

@DaveAaron so you mean experience of all sorts? Yet combine that with Ethics or Usefulness?

Why use such loaded language for that?
adjective

1. relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.
  2. relating to religion or religious belief.

And isnt Spiritua closer to Holy breath?
Luke 12:10 he " that blasphemeth against the holy pneuma

Everyone gets pigeonholed, just ask your HR manager. (Wait, don't do that!)

I view their all-or-nothing pressure as another attempt to implement some kind of ‘democratic reality,’ where their numbers set the agenda and win the day 😀 Look at the way they bicker between ‘related religions.’ What happens to those ‘almost right’...?

It’s a sign of unsuredness and fear on their part, not ours ~

Varn Level 8 Feb 4, 2018

Because if you do not believe their doctrine you are wrong.

You cannot have different thoughts as this would undermine their closed ideology echo chamber. It would undermine other's belief in that religion. How often in debates do you hear that Baptists (or whatever) aren't true christians. If you are not people like us then you are worshiping god wrong or the wrong god. Either way, you are a godless heathen.

Agnosticism is usually just a stage in moving from religious belief to complete religious disbelief. If that stage is what it takes to get to the end, so be it.

I 100% don't believe there are no Gods the same as I 100% believe there aren't a herd of elephants in my street and i 100% believe in alien life forms but it's just a belief that I only tell people if they ask. belief doesn't equal fact.

The fewer the categories, the easier it is to arrive at certainty.

Thinking is hard...

Brilliant … now if i could only be as concise.. I, too, might score some ‘double points’ 😀 ..thinking’s a bad habit ~

@Varn Scope my comment log: "concise" is not my forte...

Folks tend to operate in black or white in an imaginary battle for religious and/or moral superiority.

lovely observation

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21012
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.