Agnostic.com

3 3

QUESTION Zoos & Aquariums: Getting in Touch with Nature through Others' Captivity - TheHumanist.com

We perceive zoos as providing us with a way to escape urban life and to “get back to nature” but they are wholly unnatural institutions.

Ultimately, the very nature of zoos and aquariums contradicts their message. How can we ever truly appreciate, respect, and learn about other animals when we take away their autonomy and see them as objects to be collected for our entertainment and viewing purposes? It is a shame that our desire to connect with other animals does not allow us to empathize with them.

zblaze 7 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I disagree with this on so many levels. Are there “zoos” out there that abuse their animals? Of course, just as there are sweatshops that abuse their employees. The bigger zoos have become much more conscious of animal welfare and mental health. As for educational, without zoos the vast majority of people would have no way to observe any animals beyond dogs and cats.
And be aware that without zoo programs there would be many animal species completely extinct. Zoo breeding programs and rescue divisions work around the world to protect and develop local animal preservation organizations.
So, while I would agree that anything calling itself a zoo without animal welfare protocols to protect the animals should be shut down, respectable, science based zoos have a legitimate and very important purpose.

I came here basically to say this. Also many of the animals in zoos are non releasable because of injuries they sustained in the wild or were born in captivity and could not survive in the wild.

Years ago I stoped going to the Bronx Zoo which is about 15 miles from my house because I felt sorry for the animals in cages. The good thing is now I can enjoy going because they have removed most of the animals from their cages and placed them in large natural environments .Real grounds ,trees, shrubs , lakes and ponds etc

I think that's a very blinkered view of what modern zoos are and the work they do. In the past zoos were nothing more than a place of entertainment but in recent years the best ones have become the focus for a lot of conservation work. Many breeding and reintroduction programmes are run through zoos and species would definitely have become extinct without them. It's not to say that there aren't bad ones - there are - but the majority of the ones in Western cities are doing a lot of good. 🙂

I was gonna say the same. My mother is a big time animal rights activist and said about the same thing. Some of the biggest abusers are pet stores that buy from puppy Mills and circuses.

@DJ_Blaser I agree. It still really gets me when I go by the primate exhibits

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21040
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.