Agnostic.com

11 6

Growing up in the nuclear age. Someone posted a note about how frightening it was, and continues to be this very day. Even more so with 45 at the helm.

I remember when I was young, and we lived in California there were drills where we would get under our desks at school, and "duck and cover." Of course, knowing what I know now it was more of "kiss your arse goodbye."

We would then go on a drill to some area house that had a basement. It was taken ever so serious, we all lined up, and marched our little feet to the local neighborhood house and got in the basement. It was seen as a big event for a 4th grader.

For some reason, I associated this with an earlier event in my young life when we were returning from my father's overseas tour in Madrid, Spain. We came back on an ocean liner. There was a "drill" on deck where everyone had to get on their life jackets. I remember pointing out to my father a funny looking object in the water. He told me it was a periscope which was a part of a submarine. Not until years later did I associate this with the Cuban Missile Crisis. Our trip home was in 1963 or 1964.

Which recalls another interesting tale of the day President Kennedy was assassinated. I shall save that for a separate post.

Would anyone else like to share their remembrances of the school drills or time period? All history is fascinating to me. Especially the time period we grew up in!

JustLuAnn 7 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Many Russian scholars are saying that we are not only in a new Cold War, but it is far more dangerous than the last. We came perilously close to nuclear annihilation at least twice, and that was without troops amassed on the western Russian border. The Russians by in large view or sanctions against them as an act of war. Not to mention that if Syria should erupt again with American and Russian troops in proximity. If one nuke gets deployed...they ALL go off. It is a dangerous time for humanity. Now.

Agreed.

I grew up in that era, even into my teens and I was an anti-nuclear protestor. We didn't have drills then, but my school still had the taped up windows and bomb trenches in the playgrounds left over from WW2. My mum went to the same school, the war was over but they still had the drills when she was there.

We did the same in my grade school..except we filed down to the basement and stood facing the wall..like you, years later, realized it was an instant mass grave..

Now they are having school shooter drills...

Don't know which is worse.

Thank you! If you hadn't mentioned this I would have. Beyond comprehension we have reached this place in our country.

I sat on the runway at Lackland AFB in 1961 in Texas under the wing of a C135 for 2 days waiting for orders to board to fly to Germany and stand in front of Russian tanks with wooden guns if war came.

I remember that my dad built a fallout shelter in our basement during the Cuban missile crises. I was too young to know that the situation was exceptional. The shelter itself was kind of cool. We liked crawling and playing in it.

I also remember me and my friends talking about what it would look like if the bomb hit you. We said that if it hit you directly the sky would go yellow. I guessed then that this was probably true. I was 5.

I think we did the duck and cover thing once

Fallout shelters for sure. I don't think we ever did the duck and cover thing? Which is so foolish. So your X-Ray shadow shows you in a fetal position? - I remember the Air Raid Siren being tested in my home town. That was a trip!

The A-bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki August 6 & 9 and were called little boy and fat man. Did anyone else find it strange that 72 years later, in August on around the 9th,2017 we were again dealing with Fat man and Little Boy?

good point

I remember fully stocked fallout shelters. I remember the duck and cover.

My generation suffered through "Threads" and "The Day After". My junior high school had a book titled:" how to survive after a nuclear war". I lived 40 miles south of Nine Mile Island when the nuclear power plant blew its top.

"Duck and cover" only works when you can kiss your own ass goodbye.

The inside scoop: the entire Pacific Basin will be contaminated for the next 5000 years after Fukishima. Don't eat seafood from anywhere in that hemisphere.

seems like everyone forgot that -Fukishima

I worry about fruit now imported from California. I understand the EPA suddenly raised the safe level of allowable radiation thousands of percent. As if that will stop your hair falling out!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21101
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.