Agnostic.com

9 3

In Ireland, especially in the country, we have the concept of "the cure" . This is the idea that certain people or rituals can have a curative effect. Certain people claim they have the cure due to being the 7th son of a 7th son for example. Some of the rituals and beliefs are bizarre for example, (and I promise I'm not making this up) a child can be cured of croop by passing them under a donkey at night. Other cures for various ailments such as sprained ankles are equally strange but harmless. Then there are more worrying claims to cure more serious conditions often seized upon by desperate relatives. Whilst this isn't officially sanctioned by the church it is the case that all the most fervent Catholics swear by it. If one tries to challenge the concept one gets a world weary look and a tale of how Mrs Murphy from the next parish had her warts removed by rubbing cut potatoes on her hands and burying them under a full moon. There also seem to me to be clear parallels between this and new age areligious pseudo science , lay lines and all that nonsense. Does such a concept exist where you live? (Incidentally "the cure" is also slang here for taking a restorative drink as in "the hair of the dog" )

diabhal 7 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My maternal line has Irish in it, many years ago I had a couple of worts on my elbow, my mum rubbed the inside of a broad bean husk on them (passed down from her Irish Grandmother, the cure not the actual broad beans!) and the next time I looked some months later they were gone.
Does this mean I lead a charmed life? No, Does it mean I have the luck of the Irish? No. Does it mean I believe all this stuff? No. But it is a nice story and part of my ancestry 🙂

yes I am in Northern Ireland and someone in my housing scheme has a 'cure' for backs which he was given by someone else - (It doesnt seem to work)
I think sometimes our mind is an amazing tool and we can make ourselves sick or make ourselves weller and having something to focus on - like the 'idea' of a 'cure' may well work - I have a doctor friend who had a patient who was a young girl who had a bad cut on her arm her brother who had been babysitting had said to her "I am going to sew this up and it won't hurt at all! He did with bright blue darning thread without a peep from the sister. When she got to my doctor friend he looked at it under the bandage saw it was an ok job and left it to heal. I guess the brother had been confidant enough for the girl not to fret.

My mum told me that a cure for head lice was to poor whiskey onto the head and then rub sand into the scalp. Years later my own children came home from nursery with nits so I went and bought a very small bottle of whiskey and took some sand from a building works across the road. I just happened to be on the fone to my ma while the kids were in the bath and told her how I had rembered what she had told me all those years ago. She was horrified!!!!
Apparently it was a joke. The nits get drunk on the whiskey and then kill each other throwing stones!
Fortunately I did not carry my plan through 🙂

My Italian grandmother insists that olive oil cures basically everything. Earache? Warm olive oil. Stomachache? Tablespoon of olive oil. Headache? Rub olive oil on it.

If I told her I had cancer she'd probably insist olive oil would help with that too. I take care to never ever let her know I'm not feeling well, lest I wind up with enough olive oil put inside me to shrivel up my gall bladder to the size of a ball bearing.

I can remember my old mum putting warm olive oil in my ear for ear ache 🙂

If you drink water from the holy well at St Keyne before your spouse you will get to be in control of your marriage.
Couples used to race down the hill from the church to the well. Canny folk had some of the water in a hip flask 🙂

I live just over the border in Cornwall. About 20 miles from Plymouth, so quite close. I know Plymouth quite well though

Presumably any 'cure' that really works becomes science. I think that's how we got aspirin. Otherwise it's a big NO THANKS from me.

Sound more Celt than catlic..

@diabhal
Like halloween and jack o lanterns my friend..though not guiness...I love my guiness with a side of Paddy's.

It's too bad there's no "cure" for their insanity. I have seen people believe some ridiculous things like that.
My father used to tell a story of how his mother tried everything to get a wart he had removed both medical and folk medicine treatments. One day while he was working on a car he felt a burning sensation around the wart and it eventually disappeared forever. He figured out later that he had spilled battery acid on it.

JimG Level 8 Feb 5, 2018

Well I'm a firm believer in the cure that is the hair of the dog, but not in passing babies under donkeys. I've heard of this before, it's common here in the US Appalachians as well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21166
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.