Agnostic.com

9 1

Do you believe that Atlantis was a real place?

Was the lost city of Atlantis as told by Plato a city state beyond the Pillars of Hercules or was this just a literary license to describe it as a place far away?

Was it just an allegorical tale Egyptian Priests used to warn of the folly of pride and the risk of it angering the gods told to Solon and retold by Plato?

Was it just a myth told to entertain? Or was it the story of the destruction of the Island of Santorini as some archeological scholars claim?

What do you think and why do you think this?

HeathenFarmer 8 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

ya it could have bin an volcanic island that erupted and wipe them out

bill Level 3 Oct 28, 2017

I was probably a myth because if it were real the chances are we'd have concrete evidence by now but we don't.

Paul Level 5 Oct 28, 2017

Ah, but they probably didn't use concrete in Atlantis 😉

If it was Santorini how would we even know if they did.

The Strait of Gibraltar connects the North Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea.

The Atlas Mountains stretches from Tunisia in the Mediterranean Sea to Morocco in the Atlantic Ocean side of the African continent.

Most of the accounts regarding the legend of the Lost City and Continent of Atlantis were largely from Greek Mythology. And so were Atlas and Hercules.

Legend and myth – two different words with similar meanings.

I believe in the modern theory that Atlantis is somewhere in the area where Iceland is.

And I believe in the story of Atlantis! LOL

Any evidence?

Atlantis by name suggests that it would have been in the Atlantic (not the Mediterranean) Sea. I have no idea whether it existed or where, but I often wonder about the fact the British mainland was joined to continental Europe before the English Channel cut it off, maybe that could have started the legend.

Not as it's described in lore, but could there have been "advanced" civilizations which disappeared? Of course, and if you hang on just a little longer, I think we're going to see another one get sucked into the proverbial sea.

I do.. there have been some good documentaries about this and proof that it did exist back then. Unlike the fairy tale of Jesus being an actual person which there is no real proof anywhere. It would have been an interesting life to live during that time period.

It is likely that Atlantis did exist and was destroyed by the Santorini super volcano eruption, It was an advanced civilization for its time. It was not the place of hyper-exaggerated myth many depict.

I never was one to believe that it was a civilization that had achieved near modern development. The civilization on Santorini fits almost everything about Atlantis except for it not being beyond the pillars of Hercules.

Since Plato was predominantly a philosopher and wrote predominantly discourses on many topics I'd say yes as he was probably chronicling he knew or believed to be true.

SamL Level 7 Oct 24, 2017

Think it is no more than an utopian dream popularized by Francis Bacon's essay of 1625

mzee Level 7 Oct 24, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2129
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.