Agnostic.com

8 4

Does this resonate with your own belief?
Humanism:
Humanism is more an ethical process, not a dogma about the existence or otherwise of gods. But in general terms, it rejects the validity of transcendental justifications, such as a dependence on belief without reason, the supernatural, or texts of allegedly divine origin. It is therefore generally compatible with Atheism and Agnosticism, but does not require these, and can be compatible with some religions. To some extent, it supplements or supplants the role of religions, and can be considered in some ways as "equivalent" to a religion.

Dick_Martin 7 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No....I have no beliefs. Humanism generally is identical to Atheism. Humanism vaguely claimed is, as you posted, by several liberal religions Unitarian Universalists Ethical Culturists Religious Humanists some Reformed Judaism congregations women rabbis et cetera

No beliefs? That is hard to believe. If that is the case then why aren't you raping, pillaging, and looting? Do you pay attention to your food? Do you eat green ham? I find it tough to believe you have no beliefs.

@Dick_Martin that's what the xians say only Geebush beliefs prevent murder rape robbery. ...why the hell to I need to believe in doors when I walk in doors that exist. ...belief is a lazy word for sheep bleating back what preachers force their cults to bleat and snort

@Dick_Martin knowledge is knowing
....believing is faith without learning

The Humanist group, of which I am a member, has a lot to say on this subject. A article that appeared in a previous magazine is titled "When the Human in Humanism Isn’t Enough"

[thehumanist.com]

"Humanist" being a descriptive word would depend on how it is used. Agnostic/Athiest humanist will have a different meaning from a religiously-based association. So although the definition of humanism is compatible with religion it is not exclusive.

Betty Level 8 Feb 5, 2018

I have heard it said that believers can be humanists but I have never met one.

There is a reason for labels and very good uses too... I always been like my own non religion of one and just for me with my own believes or non believes. Following my own lead until I get lost and then I will blame no one but me. Ignorant to most. But as we decay into nothing... I may be the least disappointed of all.

One thing I have figured out is that there are way too many people in the world for me to be unique about anything. Its just a matter of me finding like-minded souls - they're out there, even if hidden.

@Dick_Martin With all due respect but did anyone ever mentioned you look like Fidel Castro? ...and what freaks me out is that in your other photo you look like his brother Raul. With all due Respect, mind you.

I think it's fully compatible with my world view. I don't accept the claims for God or gods, and I consider humanism to be a reason-based approach to ethics without any appeal to mysticism or authority.

I consider myself a secular humanist.

I use humanist in my description, but do not accept the whole of the concept. I use it because I think the human species is indeed something special in our world and is worth supporting in spite of its shortcomings. I think perhaps I shall drop it from the list.

Deop what from what list? I am interested in hearing more about your position?

@Dick_Martin -- the list of descriptive labels I use for myself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21308
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.